• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why the sudden change! Help! UPDATE :(

sarattie

Alpha Buck
After Buddy's last teeth op, since he's come home his behaviour has totally changed, well when I say behaviour I mean in his cage...

He used to have vetbed and a litter tray and up til now it has always been pristeen clean all poo and wee neatly in the corner tray.
Since the op which has been a few months he has been getting worse and worse. He totally pulled up the vet bed and chucked it out, so I gathered perhaps he was too warm so i left it out.
Now the paper gets totally ripped to shreds and he poos and wees everywhere, NOT in the tray at all. He stinks because he lies in his puddles he leaves everywhere, his bum is getting really manky.

He is 7 years old now and has always been really clean and well behaved. Now he has started peeing and dropping poos around the house randomly when he's out so its becoming more awkward to just leave him out like we normally do.

What could have happened? is this old age setting in or is he just being a pain??

:( Signs are pointing towards a bladder problem :(

He has now got an oppointment for later today at the vet... thanks for the link caz...

Not good news

he definately has an infection. when she was squeezing his bladder he was peeing a bit invoulentary, which she tested adn seems theres quite alot of blood in it

She highly suspects stones, or possibly kidney stones. Shes given him an anti inflammatory injection.

Heres the debate. He's old. He's had way too many aneasthetics already, and theres a high risk here with him

She quoted around £700. But thats no issue if he's going to pull through.

If he doesnt have it I guess he will get ill and die anyway.

He's booked in to have the x ray tomorrow. She said if they find anything they will call me for permission to operate immediately.

Oh how awful for you.
I'm sure you'll make the right decision for him.
Sending lots of hugs and thinking of you.

thats the trouble. I dont know what is really?
he will have to have the operation, despite the high risk I guess.

I recently changed his diet to science select pellets, which according to the internet are likely to ahve contributed to the stones. Trouble is he refuses to eat any form of hay, and he gets really bad runny poos if he so much as looks at greens. SO i am really at a dead end here.
what can I do??
:(

I've a bunny who's had his teeth removed, and he didn't like hay either..... Since i've been chopping it up more finely though, he seems to manage it a bit better, and eats a little, but not as much as I'd like.
Has he had any probiotic, to help his tummy? Squidgy had squishy poos, and I was given bio-lapis to give him....
It's so hard to know what to do for the best isn't it?
How has the food contibuted to his problem?

yes, I have sachets of bio-lapis. If he gets squidgey poos I add a little to his water which solves that mostly. He usually gets squidgey poos after his anaesthetic when he has his teeth clipped at he back.

I googled 'rabbit bladder stones' and theres lots on how commercial pellets can cause stones because they are high in calcuim on quite a few different articles. So I can only assume it is the switch to science select???

Really I have tried everything with the hay front. Ive tried every variety available in every form available. the ONLY other things he will even look at is dwarf corn and fresh (no not stale, or toasted) bread. Ive even tried the hard way of not offerring anything else (advised by vet) for a few days and he just goes hungry. Silly boy

Do you think perhaps its not the diet thats caused sudden stones?

I haven't a clue I'm afraid. I have no experience at all of this, but I thought the al in one type pellet foods were the best to give, and the more commercial (variety type) food would be the culprit if anything.
Good luck tomorrow at the vet. Let us know how he gets on.

So sorry to hear about your bunny. I've just had my pig x-rayed too with suspected kidney stones, luckily it wasnt and hes ok. Hope all goes well with the bunny. xxx

Some rabbits can be more susceptible to stones than others. Some members here have rabbits with serious calcium problems and they have to regulate their calcium intake constantly.

Some veggies such as cabbage and kale are high in calcium and should be avoided. Drinking lots of water should be encouraged but other than that if your bunny is susceptible there may be nothing you could have done.

Commercial pellets are supposed to be formulated with the correct proportions of calcium for healthy growth. Unless you were adding a calcium supplement as well in theory they shouldn't be getting too much.

Out of curiosity did he produce wee with chalky deposits i.e. did it dry white or come out a bit gloopy and thick? It is just Zeus gets this occasionally after a bit too much kale and it is a sign of excess calcium (they excrete excess), if they can't excrete it properly it may build up and form stones.

Caz

The exray was really bad. Bladder was full of sludge and was soo bad had moved further down his adomen from straining.

The vet said the kindest thing was to have him pts. really hard at the moment. im finding it very difficult to coe to terms with. but i was there with him to the end and he went really peacefully.
I hadn't known his bladder was so bad and i feel like a terrible mother for not knowing

I miss him soo much

sarattie said:
The exray was really bad. Bladder was full of sludge and was soo bad had moved further down his adomen from straining.

The vet said the kindest thing was to have him pts. really hard at the moment. im finding it very difficult to coe to terms with. but i was there with him to the end and he went really peacefully.
I hadn't known his bladder was so bad and i feel like a terrible mother for not knowing

I miss him soo much

Im so sorry to hear that. As soon as you said bladder stones, I didnt say anything at the time, but I too lost a bunny to sludge and kidney stones, and didnt think it was right to say anything when you felt so upset anyway. My Stanley also had a huge abscess when they looked inside and I agreed it was kinder to not have him woken up, and I was heartbroken. Please take comfort in the knowledge you did the right thing, as much as it hurts at the moment. My Stanley was in far too much pain to revive, but I know he had such a happy life with me, as he was an rspca rescue bunny and he'd been overlooked for months and months. Your bunny was too, obviously well loved and you did everything you could. Binky free little bunny. xxx

Thanks everyone for you kind words, and also for the link to start with, otherwise i would not have put together all the clues and realised what was wrong.

When the vet did the Xray, they bought Buddy round as I didn't want him to go like that. Apart from his bladder and being uncomfortable to wee he was really happy in himself and didn't appear to be in any pain (again apart from weeing) We bought Buddy home for the afternoon as it wass a beautiful day and we had him playing at home for a few hours, with all the yoggies he wanted, as many dwarf corn and bread that he wanted too! We ha to go back at 4 to have him pts, but I was glad we all had those last few hours together to say goodbye properly rather than on the operating table earlier.

When we took him back the vet let me stay with him the whole time, it was soo hard but I think it made it easier for me to let him go. My Dad kindly buried him for me so I feel I've done the best I could

Home feels so empty now without him. I still can't bring myself to clean out the cage ad put it away. Its sitting there empty. Ill probably try adn do that job tomorrow. :cry:

aaawwww sorry to hear about your bunny. Im sure it was a big shock. What a lovely afternoon he had with you all tho.. enjoying his favourite things. You did your best for him.. im sure you wouldnt have known about his kidney problems before the xray so please dont beat yourself up for not knowing earlier. You loved him and gave him the best home he could have

Back