• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sick rabbit, I need help ASAP!!!!!!!Please help!

Beebop

Warren Veteran
Okay last night I went down to see to my rabbits last night and my little black dutch didn't eat anything, not even those pineapple and papaya tablets that both go mad for! I felt her stomach and it didn't feel hard and I cuddled her for a while. I was really worried but I had to go on to bed.

Anyway this morning I went down expecting the worse and my gut was churning and I felt sooooo sick. They were both still breathing! :D and Clove (sick bunny) turned around to face me and both her and Fudge (other rabbit) waited eagerly to see what I had. I fed them a small amount of banana, anything to get clove to eat and thankfully both ate it. Then I tried a papaya tablet but she wasn't keen and Fudge ate them instead. I will be going down again is there anything I should look for? Clove may be eatting but I am not sure, she wouldn't even eat her pellets last night! :shock:

I am hoping and praying that she hasn't got GI stasis!! Both rabbits got injections against myxo on Monday and Clove was really freaked out at the vets and when it was her turn to get injected she went mad poor thing so thankfully the vet somehow managed to hold her. Could the stress and injection from the vet be a possibility? Also my dad cleaned the greenhouse with Jays Fluid and the hutch is right outside the greenhouse, I told my dad to wait till I got home so the rabbits could be moved but nope he went right on ahead! Could the fumes from that be a possibility? I know that if she isn't eating anything when I go down that she will have to go back to the vet, but after last time I don't want to make her worse! What should I do????? Please someone help me!

Hiya Beebop what a worry for you, but it is a good sign she is eating this morning.
Stress from the vets visit probably set a bit of gut statis off, but it sounds like it is clearing through itself.
Have a look at the droppings for a clue, if they are small and hard, then it may be sensible to go and buy some Kitty Malt (original flavour) from a pet shop, this is a fur ball preventative for kittens.
Pop an eighth of a teaspoons worth on her front paw or mouth so she can lick/ groom it off, do this for three consecutive days, but stick strictly to the dosage amount as above (as on the tube the dosage is for kittens and cats not bunnies!).
Also you could syringe some diluted pineapple juice or add some to the drinking water, as this helps the digestion.
If this happens again, or the droppings continue to be small after a day or so of the above treatment then I suggest you pop the bunny to the vets, but buy some Rescue remedy (Boots sell it) and give a drop before and after the vets trip to calm the bunny down and help stress levels.
Tummy massage is always good at helping stimulate the digestion too.
Hope this helps a little and let us know how you get on later
best wishes :)

Are your rabbits pooing normally? Their droppings are about the most important indicators of their health!! If not I'd get a vet appointment as soon as possible. Try to tempt Clove to eat some hay or vegetable, I've found that if Jack goes off his pellets he still is tempted by veg and herbs.

Rabbits are sometimes a bit subdued for a day after their injections, hopefully you will find yours has been eating again when you go to check. Sorry I can't be of more help. Let us know how you get on!

Good luck,
Kate and Jack

Thanks everyone for your advise. I have managed to get her to drink some water and she has also ate a little bit of hay, corriander and parsely, she is moving around freely and was begging me as usual for veggies when I popped down striaght after school.
I will be keeping a close eye on her though, and she is due to go back to the vets on Monday for her VHD injection so will give her some rescue remedy before hand. By the way how should I give it to her? Should it be in her water or straight into her mouth?. I would prefer not to put it in water as she may stop drinking it as rescue remedy is not the most pleasant thing. Her droppings look normal and she hasn't got a sticky bottom or anything so fingers crossed.

I felt so scared this moring I woke up at 5:20 and got ready to go down. I am so tired but have part of my GCSE Physics tommorrow so will have to stay up late tonight! :lol: I know how bad it can be when a rabbit stops eating so was really panicking and was using some of that rescue remedy myself last night and this morning! :lol:

Hi Beebop, were all having such a nightmare with sick bunnies and piggies lately, all 3 of mine have been poorly in a matter of weeks, but are luckily all ok again now (touch wood). How is your bunny today? xxx

Clove seems to be fine but will be keeping a close eye on her, little rascal! I am just so relieved she is eating and acting normal! Thanks for all your concern! :D

Beebop said:
Clove seems to be fine but will be keeping a close eye on her, little rascal! I am just so relieved she is eating and acting normal! Thanks for all your concern! :D

Thats good to hear, its such a relief when they start eating again isnt it? Im sure they just like worry us!! I can imagine Poppy turining round to Ralf in the middle of the night and saying "Im so annoyed with Kerri, I didnt get any grass last night - watch this when she comes to feed us!" and then when I go in she pretends shes ill, and when I shut the door and worry, and she knows I'll worry all day at work, her and Ralf burst our laughing!! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Well she is defintly acting more like herself and both snatched some dandilion leaves of me this morning but it is back to the vets tomorrow for VHD injections! I feel sick at the thought! :shock: Wish me luck!

hi

Beebop, didn't you say they just had their myxi vacs on 23rd? There needs to be at least a fortnight between vaccinations or it will overload their immune systems - just wanted to check with you :)

Beebop, didn't you say they just had their myxi vacs on 23rd? There needs to be at least a fortnight between vaccinations or it will overload their immune systems - just wanted to check with you

really? my vet said one week!!! It is today!!! What do I do, should I phone up and cancel or something????

hi

I would - your vet is wrong (wouldn't be the first time a vet got rabbit care wrong sadly) - I mean, it probably won't hurt them, it's just not recommended by most vets - which is for the simple reason that it's a nasty vaccine and if they're still a bit under the weather from reacting to the myxi vac (which is how they develop the antibodies needed in their blood to fight off the real thing, should they catch it)...well it makes sense not to lay them too low by piling up the stress and vaccines in a short space of time.

Beebop said:
Beebop, didn't you say they just had their myxi vacs on 23rd? There needs to be at least a fortnight between vaccinations or it will overload their immune systems - just wanted to check with you

really? my vet said one week!!! It is today!!! What do I do, should I phone up and cancel or something????

Up until this year, my vets always used to say 1 week between vaccinations too. I must admit though when I went this month with Poppy, I was told at least 2 weeks in between.

Back