• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor housing: Dog crate or hutch?

Which is best?

• Extra large dog crate (4'x2.5' plus shelf/run)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Large double tiered hutch (5'x2' without run)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
Ok, we may have a new house... if we do, it has a bunny room (yey!) in which I am planning to house two new rescue rabbits (bonded pair), plus my existing two will have their stuff, but they will also have the run of the bunny room and the kitchen during the day, and run of the downstairs when we are in. The new pair will have as much run time as possible when we are in, outside of their hutch/crate.

Say the new pair are medium sized rabbits: which is better, a large dog crate or an indoor hutch?

The largest dog crate is 4' x 2.5' which only provides them with 10 sq ft of space, but I could get b/f to add a shelf which might be say 2' x 2.5' so that would be an extra 5 sq ft. Also I could attach a run when I needed to (I have a pen with four 3'x3' sides which I can attach). I am slightly worried then might get out of this though so may not be able to have it out during the day?

However, the hutch I'm looking at would be either 4' x 2' double level (=16 sq ft) or preferably 5' x 2' double level (=20 sq ft). There is not room for a run as well. So they'd have more space, but it would be 'upwards', narrow space.

The idea is that if the pairs eventually bond, they can all live freely together, but there is no guarantee this will happen and I may not be able to leave them alone together during the day. So...

Which option is best?

Hi
My initial thought would be the dog crate with the shelf and run attached- if you could make the run 100% safe (maybe add a top and extra fastenings).
The main trouble with hutches is the head room - there just isn't enough for the bunnies to sit up comfortably in a lot of them. That wouldn't be a problem with a dog crate as they are nice and high.

Our house bunny is a netherland dwarf, so head room isn't an issue, bless him! Because he's so tiny we find he has enough room in his double tier hutch, but he's out with us most of the time anyway.

sig2001.jpg

This is for Sooty and Lolly. If you needed a roof you can use the pen bits as they are all detachable. Make what you like!

I voted dog crate! :D

I'm not keen on indoor hutches. They smell no matter how often you clean them out. There's no headroom. Little ventilation and the Rabbit is shut away from the day to day activities.

A dog crate solves all of these problems and more! (Dog crates look much better in your home then a hutch. There easier to clean out and disinfectant. Much easier to move around as they are collapsible…I could go on!!! :lol: )

Louise

Dog crates..You can also take them out in it in the car (if its big enough) if you need to. Versatility... thats the name of the game!! :?

I voted dog crates too, for all the hygiene reasons Louise mentionned, plus you get more value for money space wise.
We sit our dog crates on a piece of lino, pop in a large dog basket, litter tray, and vet bed across the rest of the floor area.
The bunnies appreciate lots of toys and a cuddly friend (of the real or cuddly toy variety! :roll: :lol: :lol: ) to cuddle up to.
Hope this helps you with your decision :)

Thanks everyone, this really helps :D

I had not thought so much of the hugeine aspect, never having had a hutched rabbits before. Dog crate it is. The only thing is I need to make the run VERY secure as Madam Sylvia is rather adept at breaking it... :roll:

I know this poll is about dog crates vs hutches for inside housing, but what about the indoor rabbit cages which are available?

Does anyone have any thoughts on them?

well generally a dog crate gives them much more space for less money! I got a new ferplast cage before xmas that was pretty long and came in handy when i got Nala but then got a dog cage for them to share and it cost me about the same money but its easily twice the floor area.
My big ferplast is at my parent's for when we go stay there sometimes so they can have a base altho they are generally free range in a room of their own.

Diddeen said:
well generally a dog crate gives them much more space for less money! I got a new ferplast cage before xmas that was pretty long and came in handy when i got Nala but then got a dog cage for them to share and it cost me about the same money but its easily twice the floor area.
My big ferplast is at my parent's for when we go stay there sometimes so they can have a base altho they are generally free range in a room of their own.

What Ferplast cage did you get? Ive been looking at the Rabbit 140 cage for Petey.

we have the buns in hutchs at the moment but I want to change as they seem so dark inside, and id like them to have more natural light, I dont have room for 4 dog crates as none of them are bonded yet, but I thought the cages gave more light and could also go on large shelves?

Back