• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think of these crates?

Hiya

Do you think this crate is good value for the size/price?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4383449543&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

Or this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....07&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

I'm not sure which one to go for yet... the 48 inch or the 42 inch?

I've got to go home and get out the tape measure to make sure a 48 inch would fit in the gap I have spare in my bedroom! :lol:

Are both of these suitable for a minilop rabbit?

Thanks for any advice! :D

Lucy

Yes, i think thats quite a good price. I`m not sure how much i paid for the one i had for my last bunny but in pets at home i`m sure they are a lot more expensive than that. If i was you i`d get the 48" forthe extra room!

Amanda said:
Yes, i think thats quite a good price. I`m not sure how much i paid for the one i had for my last bunny but in pets at home i`m sure they are a lot more expensive than that. If i was you i`d get the 48" forthe extra room!

I'm definitely going for the 48 inch if I have space in my bedroom! If not it's not a major loss because I intend for the bun to be free range anyway and for the crate just to be a "home base".

Yeah the crates at PAH are loads more expensive, I was looking at them the other day! Even their quite small ones were reaching almost £100... :shock:

yeah mine is a 48" one. It might be worth getting some vet bedding or a blanket or something to put on the floor as the floor is slippery otherwise. If you want vetbed sometimes u can find it on ebay but i recently got some from Argos which fits the 48" cage perfectly and was reasonably priced.

Diddeen said:
yeah mine is a 48" one. It might be worth getting some vet bedding or a blanket or something to put on the floor as the floor is slippery otherwise. If you want vetbed sometimes u can find it on ebay but i recently got some from Argos which fits the 48" cage perfectly and was reasonably priced.

I just bought some pink vetbed from Ebay! :lol: It was only £22 for a 60" by 40" piece!!

I went into PAH earlier and the size of vet bed I needed was extortionate..!

the argos one is a perfect fit for a 48" cage, 48" x 28" approx for £14.99 but only from argos extra stores.

Diddeen said:
the argos one is a perfect fit for a 48" cage, 48" x 28" approx for £14.99 but only from argos extra stores.

Thanks for the info! I will need to get another piece for when one is in the wash!

Do your rabbits leave the vetbed alone or do they tend to dig at it and mess it up?

Nala pees all over it.. Simba does dig at the edges but hasnt really done much damage to it yet.. Ive had it for about 3months now and its been washed a few times. It never looks like it did when it was brand new but its still in one piece :D Argos only do white vetbed btw. I sometimes use a blanket and they dont seem too bothered.

Hi Lucy, they're the same as the one I have for my two buns, I got a 42" one as thats how big the space is in the lounge. I also got a piece of vetbed free with the cage. :)

I use the vet bed in the cage when the buns go outside but tend not to use it in the one in the flat. I think they get too hot, they were spending ages folding the vetbed/blanket up to get it out of the way so they could sit on the plastic. I just put a small piece in now, or a folded up fluffy blanket. (less than in these pics)

We made a second level in ours too which they love, didn't take long an dwas definitely worth the effort. There was a thread on here about dog crates and I posted loads of pics and how we did it but I think it got lost when the forum was having a few hiccups. Heres a couple of pics:

buns002.jpg

lavenderscrate008.jpg

I'm really impressed by the second floor you've added here - can I ask what type of wood you used, as I would like to do the same but don't know if any kind might be harmful to a rabbit if they decided to chew it?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that plastic trays might be better than metal ones as they would avoid that rabbits feet splaying. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this?

We just used MDF, I asked my dad (who is a carpenter) and he said to use any untreated soft wood for the strutts, and MDF for the floor. They haven't actually chewed it at all.

The MSF was about £15 for a HUGE sheet, then something like 50p a cut at homebase. Now we know what we're doing we're going to go back and get them to cut one sheet into rectangles the right size to make the floors out of. Charlie has taken to treading soft poo on the upper level, its OK at the moment but I think we'll be making a new one soonish. We've had better ideas for attaching the ramp - at the moment its nailed on which is very safe but we don't like the idea of having nails in their cage!

As for the metal or plastic base, I chose plastic for loads of reasons:
less cold in the winter
easier to clean
less likely to react to any wee
look better in the lounge and be generally nicer for the buns to live on

I've not heard anything about splaying, I didn't even know it was a problem in bunnies - I'd be interested to find out more.

Just a quick tip, If u see a product on ebay sold lyk the crates, by a shop sorta thing, just ask if they have a website, and check prices on there, because i have nearly been ripped off a couple of times, and just in time checked the website. If this is understandable . . . im soo tired :D:D:D

Back