• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies Come To Heaven!!!!!

Karrienic

New Kit
:) As previously mentioned we have gone slightly mad! After recently loosing several bunnies due to old age, my partner and i have spent the last few weeks taking on and collecting bunnies from all over the place to give them a new home.

I began my rescue mission back in 1997 and through to 2000 had a collection of five unwanted and neglected bunnies (have rescued a number of other animals too over the years!). I then had only one remaining rescued bun from back then called Claude a Butterfly male who i have now had for about eight years - he still bounds round like a baby!

Last year (september 04) i had Bailey, another Butterfly X from a friend when he was eight weeks old.

My partner and i decieded to start rescuing a few more as we had so much enjoyment doing so all those years ago and so .................................

Recently we have got Amber a Sooty Fawn Netherland Dwarf Lionhead X (8 weeks old), a Tri-coloured Dwarf Lop (10 weeks old) called Dylan :p and now have adopted two French Lop bucks one Agouti and the other Blue (4 months old - which should arrive tonight!), an Orangle French Lop doe (9 months old - collection next week), and last but not least Tilly a Cashmere/Chinchilla Dwarf Lop X (8 weeks - collection on Thursday this week!).

:lol: Currently we have travelled miles for them and various hutches and are currently undergoing a revamp in hutches and runs and completely resahping the garden! (especially now we have French Lops coming in!)

Anyway - my questions are......................

1) The boys (french lops) are already bonded and have grown together since being born, but will they form problems when they become older? Would neutering them or one of them solve this?

2) Does anyone use/prefer Woodbased Cat Litter for hutches and can anyone tell me what they use and why (I have used shavings for years but find once wet and soggy - especially when it has rained - it spreads through the bedding and blows everywhere!

3) Can you keep two rabbits together without neutering or does one or both need to be neutered. (have never had bonded rabbits before - and am going to hopefully bond Amber and Tilly this week - any tips would be appreciated).

5) What is the best food to give my bunnies? Many pet shops offer pellets but currently i have my babies on Russel Rabbit Dwarf for Amber and Dylan and the Original for Claude sand Bailey - should i get pellets as it's 'not so selctable' (as told to me by the pet shop).

4) can someone explain how to put pics on here please as i would like to get some on here of my babies and the rest of the zoo!

5) Do ya think we are mad???????????????????

So, it's off to Norfolk this weekend to collect huches and runs!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :shock:

TAKE CARE ALL
Karrie n Bunnie Heaven! x x x :lol:

Welcome to the forum :D I'm sure you'll find lots of info here to help with all your new bunnies.

To answer your questions:

1) The boys (french lops) are already bonded and have grown together since being born, but will they form problems when they become older? Would neutering them or one of them solve this?

Yes, its fairly common for unneutered males to start fighting, they'll both need neutering. You'll need to watch carefully as one thing that can trigger it is new territory which obviously moving to a new home with them will be. Males can be neutered from 4 months though it is sometimes suggested leaving french lops a little longer as big breeds mature slower. Something to discuss with your vet.

2) Does anyone use/prefer Woodbased Cat Litter for hutches and can anyone tell me what they use and why (I have used shavings for years but find once wet and soggy - especially when it has rained - it spreads through the bedding and blows everywhere!

Yes, wood based catlitter is okay, I'm sure someone can recommend some brands for you. Do you use litter trays? That helps contain the dirty bedding. If the try is in an uncover part of the run then a hooded cat litter tray can be a good solution.

3) Can you keep two rabbits together without neutering or does one or both need to be neutered. (have never had bonded rabbits before - and am going to hopefully bond Amber and Tilly this week - any tips would be appreciated).

The most usual pairing are male to female which obviously means atleast one needs to be neutered to prevent babies. In general the male must be neutered anyway to stop him pestering the female even if she is done too. Females can also be territorial/fight as your buns are all babies you shouldn't have to much trouble matching them up though.

5) What is the best food to give my bunnies? Many pet shops offer pellets but currently i have my babies on Russel Rabbit Dwarf for Amber and Dylan and the Original for Claude sand Bailey - should i get pellets as it's 'not so selctable' (as told to me by the pet shop).

Pellets are the best option. Exel or Supreme Science are the most popular brands. Supreme Science is made by Russel Rabbit so you may find that easiest to get hold of.

4) can someone explain how to put pics on here please as i would like to get some on here of my babies and the rest of the zoo!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=107

5) Do ya think we are mad???????????????????

Probably, I find most rabbit owners are ;)

I'd recommend you neuter all your rabbits. Males can be done from 4 months and females from 6months so you have time to save up and spread the cost. It prevents a lot of problem behaviour (especially if you have multiple rabbits that can smell each other) , no chance of accidental litters, you can pair up the bunnies, prevents uterine cancer (very common in older females).

Any more questions let us know :D

Tam

Hi welcome to the forum. You definitely sound mad but then i think its a precursor to join this forum and to own bunnies :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well done for giving all those bunnies a new home.. bet they get spoilt rotten!
Tam has answered all your questions really so all i will say is.. i use wood based cat litter (fussypuss) from my local petstore.. about £3.99 for 15kg i think it was. I put it in the litter trays and when weed on it turns to sawdust really although doesnt really blow about as its wet. I have also tried paper based litter but i didnt think it was as absorbant and wood based one smells nicer.
I use Science selective pellets at the moment.. they can be difficult to get hold of as not many stores sell them.. I am going to swap mine over to Allen and Page pellets as i can get them easily and they are higher fibre which is always good!
Cant wait to see photos of your bunnies :D

Pellets n Things!

Many thanks for the reply. As i have mentioned above, the two boys (French Lops) have now arrived late last night, but settled in immediately. They were born in December last year, which makes then nearer six months than four, and too be honest i had my concerns as to whether or not i should seperate them to prevent any fights.

However, when i saw them together lying out side by side after a quick pint (of water!) and a bar snack (cabbage!), it was obvious that these two brothers would be desperate without each other.

With regard to pellets, what you have mentioned was suggested last night to us as they are readily available and they are also able to get a bale of straw/shavings mix which i have agreed to try (i think its called beddown?) Has anyone else used this before?.

Many Thanks
Karrie x x x
:D

Hello to another mad bun peep!!!. Have you worked out the pic thing yet? I want to see the lionhead!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

AMBER

:lol: It's so good to rabbit on bout bunnies - i do it over the school and do get some funny looks i can tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will try to get pics up of all over the next week or so (too busy settling everyone in - Tilly on her way here now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karrie x x x x

Back