• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT QUESTION

kyliefan

New Kit
We are very worried about are rabbit his stomach is making very loud grumbling noises. This has not happened before. Is he ok???? Thankyou

Hi.. he may have bloat or a blockage. Do you know if he is still pooping ok? or if they are smaller or there is none at all? Has he eaten anything new today?

is he drinking at all?
It is important that you encourage him to eat/drink to keep his stomach moving.
If you have any infacol.. its what you give babies to reduce their wind.. you could try giving him 2mls of it and see if this helps. Also encourage him to hop around to also help move stuff along.
If he doesnt eat/drink he will need to see a vet.

It can really be quite serious if he stops pooping or eating then he needs to see a vet asap. If he's not better by tommorow am then get him to the vet anyway. Its better to catch it quick rather than waiting til he gets worse.

Tam

he has just eaten some hay and had a little run around im going to ring the vets first thing tommorow. Thanks for your help guys ill let you know how he gets on x

please keep ur eye on him my bunny was rushed to vets wiv bloat last week and it was touch and go encourage ur bunny to eat and masage his tummy

lisa

I would try to syringe feed him to keep his gut contents moving. I`d try something like carrot baby food or liquidise some vegetables instead. As previously said this can rapidlyturn into a very serious situation so it might be an idea to start syringe feeding him asap. Hope he feels better soon! :)

kyliefan said:
He has eaten some greens today. Seems to be making a strange noise after he drinks though???

It is good news that is eating, but he really needs to eat hay if he has an upset tummy, greens may add to the gas / bloat situation.
I would suggest taking him to the vets asap, especially in view of the noise he makes when he drinks, it does sound like his digestive system is disturbed and he may benefit from some Probiotics (and a hay only diet for a week or two to let things settle down).
Good luck, and hope he continues to get better
Best wishes
Adele and the many sanctuary bunnies

does he only make the noise when he drinks? If so Nala does this aswell.. especially if she is drinking from a bowl. If the noises are also there when he isnt drinking then Id agree.. he best go see a vet. Hope he keeps eating and improves soon.

hope ur bunnies ok not heard form u in a while yeah my buns tummies make that noise when they drink from a bowl too

lisa

Hi guys thanks for all your helpfull posts! Twinkle seems to be a lot better now he is eating again and running around like a mad hatter!. I am still going to take him to the vets at the weekend just to be on the safe side :)

Hi Guys!

Twinke is doing much better now! the vet said he has a cold and she gave me some antibiotics for him. He has also started to eat properly again :D
x

kyliefan said:
Hi Guys!

Twinke is doing much better now! the vet said he has a cold and she gave me some antibiotics for him. He has also started to eat properly again :D
x
Im sure rabbits dont get colds :shock: Hope it clears up quickly, whatever it is.

Back