• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sawdust alternatives.

leesabuntine

Warren Scout
Hi
I have been reading some old posts regarding respiratory problems with sawdust.
I am now keen to change this for my bunny and hamster and was looking for any recommendations on alternatives and sites to buy from.

I also have another query...my bunny is going for the "snip" on Thursday and I am looking for vet bedding.
I am after any links to sites where I can buy and where can do super fast delivery. Or if anyone knows if pet shops do it...pets at home etc...

TIA
Leesa.

I use carefresh bedding from my local garden centre in the litter tray and hay elsewhere. Some people use wooden cat litter (non clumping). My local garden centre also sells vet bed but probably best to call a few places first. Good luck with the op :D

My youngest goes in for the snip a week on tuesday (I have to wait til half term to take him). Whenever mine have have operations they have always been put onto old towels and tea towels, my mum now saves me all her old ones, so I have a great collection 8)

I`ve always managed to get Vetbed from Pets at Home before.

As for hamsters i would use the material bedding that is like torn up Jay cloth. Actually thinking about it you could just use torn up Jay cloth! I used to use kitchen towel to line the inside of my hamsters cage and then shred some more up for bedding. Also the petshop bedding that is like cotton wool and usually comes in pink or yellow or some other colours is quite toxic to hamsters. :)

Yeah towels are good. If you want vetbed quickly.. argos sell it fairly cheaply :D
Sawdust isnt good but shavings arent too bad. Alternatively you could use straw for your bunny.. not sure about hamsters.. mine always loved shavings he could dig and burry himself in it.
I have indoor rabbits so i now use vetbed/blankets and wood cat litter in their tray.

One of the best alternatives is Megazorb. I use Newspaper on the bottom of the hutches and then Megazorb in the litter trays.

Cheryl

Any 100% recycled paper cat litters are excellent such as Biocatolet, Sainsbury's own and Bob Martin's.

Biocatolet is the most expensive at over £4 a bag, Sainsbury's own is £2.99 a bag and Bob Martin's (they sell it at Asda) is only £1.98 a bag. I use the Bob Martin's! :D

Also, as sgprescue has mentioned, Megazorb is really good, and so is Ecopetbed (dust extracted cardboard strips). I do feel the Ecopetbed isn't quite as absorbment as the cat litters though...

I use megazorb here! for the rabbits litter trays the piggies cages and the gerbils.
then the rabbits have vetbed on the floor

We use Hempcore for the kids outside, I think it comes in 125 ltr sacks and only costs £12. For the terrible twosome indoors we use catsan as it doesnt stick to the feet and covers the odour fairly well, quite expensive at £4 for 10 Ltrs but the buns are happy

Back