• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nails

Toby

Banned
Two questions about clipping your bunny’s nails.

1. Where (apart from pets at home) sells clippers and how much?

2. Is there a diagram of some sort showing where to clip? Never done it before and Toby’s claws are so dark. :?

Most pet shops sell nail clippers, I use ones that are marketed for cats.

Joey's back claws are black and I just clip the end off, as soon as I hear them clipping on the wooden floors I know it's time for another wee bit to come off. That way they never get too long.

You could always take him along to the vets and get them to show you how much should come off.

I normally take him to the vets to get them cut - but I am trying to save a bit of money while I am not working :D

I took Squidgy to the vets to have his done ( as they were growing at funny angles and we didn't feel confident doing it ourselves this time!) and the vet said that they should be at the level of the fur on his feet. Hope that makes sense :?
I got clippers from petplanet

claw.gif

Try shinning a torch through if you can't see the quick.

Tam

Do all buns need nails cut and how often on average? My vet said they shouldnt really need to. I guess it depends on where they are kept?

I think so. My outside bunnies never need them done, assumedly because they run around on concrete most of the day.

good drawing Tam! :D Nala's nails are dark brown but if i look at them sideways i can just about make the quick out. If you are unsure just nip the ends off if they look long.
I got my clippers from wilkinsons.. im sure the poundshop do them aswell and they work just great. I think mine cost around £3but cant really remember.

I got my nail clippers from off ebay.
I also spotted that The Range had a selection of nail clippers at a reasonable price.
Only Harry needs his doing, that was due to abuse he suffered when he was little, his nails all grew back at wierd angles :cry: .

Thats what I do, Ferns were really dark so I used to get the torch out, or if in doubt just nip the end off. Although I did find that if you nip the end off and look at the end, and then just take little bits off until I could see the nail changing in cross section. If i did this I always did the first one very cautiously and then I sort of knew how much to take off the others - I hope that makes sense. I will also say that don't be too hard on yourself if you do nick the quick - a dab of antiseptic ointment or powder, check it the next day and it should be fine - but obviously I very much tried not to do that!

We found the best way is to stand up, one of you hold the bun, the other one does the cutting - watch your eyes as the bits of nail can fly.

Oh thank you! A lot of helpful advise there, and thanks for the pic Tam :thumb: Tobys nails are always growing, he needs them doing every 3/4 weeks.

Back