• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

a few questions from a novice

binkacat

Young Bun
I say a novice, but I had a rabbit for about 8 years when I was a kid - but still have a couple of questions.

Haven't got a rabbit yet but am thinking about getting 2 Netherland dwarfs.

I have an old hen house/ark with an attached run and was thinking of keeping them in there. The actual house bit is off the ground with a ramp going up to it - would this be OK?

Also would the door to the house bit need closing every night at bedtime so they're warm/secure?

The run attached to the house will be 100% bunny proof - just needs some mesh/wire flooring nailed to the bottom to prevent digging.

The run is 7ftx4ft - if I move the house and run about frequently to new grass this amount of space should be OK should't it?

Thanks

I love Netherland dwarfs! They're sooo cute.
The house sounds fine, but I think people would advise that the buns are secured at night. The size of the run sounds ok too, especialy as they're little bunnies!
When are you getting the buns? Let us know how you get on.

My buns can come and go between their shed and the run during the day but I always lock them up at about 10 pm for the night. I would never sleep else :roll: Even though I think their runs are secure I just don't trust the foxes, we have quite a few visting our garden at night, how do I know? Im sick of having to pick up the fox poo :evil:

And a women not so far from me had her rabbits killed by foxes they managed to get in the hutch.

So I would say lock them up at night. Good luck with the buns let us see some piccies when you get them :D

You could sink the mesh a few inches under the ground then they could dig a bit if they wanted to. Sooty doesnt dig (yet) so they might not. Is there a rescue near you?

We are in the middle of bringing Lolly from London to Falkirk so I'm sure something must be closer than that for you :lol: :lol: :lol: Where are you anyway?

Thanks for everyones answers.

I'm in Lincolnshire - it would probably be October b4 I can get any rabbits as I have a couple of chickens I need to get rid of b4 then :D

For various reasons I'm stopping keeping chickens after my last ones are gone.

But when it does come to getting one then I'll definetly check that centres list or post on here again a bit nearer the time.

thanks again

Back