• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My beloved Bunny has died

rabbitthings

Young Bun
:(Our english doe Warren died on Thursday aged 11 months. I am totally heartbroken, she had been treated for constipation by the vet, but a post mortem revealed an internal abcess, which caused a chain of anatomical events. I wondered if there were other rabbit lovers in Devon. I feel so blue, would be nice to have contact with other people who understand. I am also hoping you might have some advice as to what is best for her sister Charlie. She seems to miss her, Warren was her courage and they were the best of friends. ) [/list][/quote]

I am sorry. I'm sure someone here can give advice on introducing another bun to help her sister. Binky free Warren xxx

I'm sorry for your loss.

I think I have read that it is easier to introduce another rabbit to one which has lost a cage mate. Are you thinking of getting her another companion bun?

aaawww sorry to hear you have lost your bunny.. I hope your other rabbit is ok without her sister. There are certainly people in your area. Will you be getting another rabbit for her?

So sorry to hear about your bunny. It's absolutely devestating to lose a bunny. The great thing about this forum is that everyone understands how important bunnies are in our lives.
Bobby and Patch were a bonded pair, but Patch went to the bridge at Christmas. I was concerned about Bobby(neutered male),as he had never been on his own, so I got Nougat from the local rescue. I introduced them at about midday, and by three o'clock they were firm friends. Patch died in her sleep, so Bobby had a chance to get used to her death, as he saw the body. He accepted Nougat very readily, and I would definitely recommend finding a new friend for Charlie.
Hope everything works out ok for Charlie.
Sending lots of hugs.

:cry:

Charlie and Warren ( 2 sisters) were 11.5 months old. Charlie is the big bruiser, very cute, like the lion in the wizard of Oz. She chases birds away from the garden, then frightens herself and would run to Warren for reassurance. Warren was smaller, the prettiest, girliest bun bun. She had lots of courage and mothered Charlie.
Charlie seems OK, eating fine, but sticking to the edges of the garden and safe places. From the look in his eyes when I entered the shed where the hutches were, he knew that Warren had died. She had been dead for a few hours and it didn't seem appropriate to put them together at that point. I made her final night as comfortable as I could, I did not know what was wrong, neither did the vet. She had been at the vets for 4 nights that week.
Because this has broken our hearts, we would prefer not to get a companion for Charlie. However if he starts to show distress and doesn't adapt I would. Can buns live happily by themselves, and how do you fill the gap?[/img]

Most bunny lit says they are group animals and if outside i guess they get less interaction from people in the house. Maybe you could think about another bun when some time has passed. I'm sure you could love another one and if it was from a rescue you would be giving it a lovely forever home. Take your time to decide. Your grief is still very intense at this stage. Good luck with whatever you do.

I'm so sorry to hear about Warren, I can imagine how horrid it feels and you've definitely come to the right place to find like minded people.

I recently lost my little girl bunny called Fern, leaving her friend Charlie behind on his own. I wasn't sure about getting him a friend and had the same feelings you describe above - losing Fern broke my heart, and I decided I couldn't face having another bunny. We decided we'd see how Charlie got on alone, he was Ok to start with. But then he just wasn't himself, he was really lethargic and stopped being his usual lively self. So we took him to a rescue centre where he met Lavender. They lived separately for a month or so until Lavender was spayed, and then we put them together. They now love each other very very much and are never apart. Charlie is more happy and lively than I've seen him in years, he looks about 6 months old instead of the 6 years old that he is. I wasn't sure how I'd take to Lavender but I really shouldn't have worried, she's part of the family and we love her. :D

Wait and see how Charlie is, she may be perfectly happy on her own, but I just wanted to tell you my story so you know that other people have gone through the same feelings and it all turned out fine.

You asked about filling the gap - we tried to spend more time with Charlie and this sound silly but we also bought him a teddy, he used to (and still does) snuggle up with it and lick it. Both buns had teddies when they lived alone, and now they sit and lick their own teddies but not each others! I just went and found washable baby teddies from Mothercare.

My thoughts are with you, and binky free little Warren.

Awww I'm so sorry to hear about your loss but there is some great help on here for you and like me and so many others here we know how it feel to experience the grief and sorrow of loss of special animal pals, be it a bunny, guinea pig or in fact any animal.

Your little girl bunny will need some extra special cuddles and TLC during this time so try and be brave for her and hopefully eventually things will get a little easier for you to bear and you may feel able to cope better with the thought of a new pal for little Charlie.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your bunny. I too lost a bunny to an internal abscess, I was devastated. I have lost lots of bunnies and piggies and other animals throughout the years and it never gets any easier. Take care. xxx

I am really sorry to hear about Warren. We have 1 rabbit called Moo, he is a house bunny and so is always around us. He has outside cage run too but as he has been v poorly lately he has been in more. He used to be with his brother but he his brother was homed before we got Moo. He has seen other animals but now doesnt seem interested - so just wanted to say that even though your bun may like to have another friend of the long ear kind he may appreciate having all your time and attention like ours seems to?! Loads of hugs and attention all the time may help Warren become a perky lil lady again?!

:bunny:

I am really sorry to hear about Warren. We have 1 rabbit called Moo, he is a house bunny and so is always around us. He has outside cage run too but as he has been v poorly lately he has been in more. He used to be with his brother but he his brother was homed before we got Moo. He has seen other animals but now doesnt seem interested - so just wanted to say that even though your bun may like to have another friend of the long ear kind he may appreciate having all your time and attention like ours seems to?! Loads of hugs and attention all the time may help Warren become a perky lil lady again?!

:bunny:

so very sorry to hear about Warren :cry: It is never easy when we loose our lovelies :cry: I really feel for you :(

run free little Miss Warren bun

rabbitthings - I know exactly what you're going through, I've just lost my beloved Lionhead Jasper - yesterday to be exact. It was all very sudden and we never realy knew what was wrong because the vet said he was very healthy.

I feel like I'll never get over this because he was my first bunny and I loved him more than anything. He was always extra special to me.

His companion Lilly (who is the spitting image of fern) is lost without him, she looks for him all of the time and it breaks my heart. It would be lovely to get another companion for her, but at the same time, Jasper would be turning in his grave if another man was in his place, and also nothing could ever replace my baby.

So I'm just going to see how she goes alone for now and give her as much love and attention as I can.

Thinking of you,

Vianne, Lilly and the late Jasper xxx

Back