• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance?

carina

Young Bun
Firstly I would like to thank everyone who replied to my last post. Amber is now at home and fine. They decided to give her internal stitches and she seems to be fine with them. She just hates having to take her medicine.

I am thinking of insuring amber and am wondering if anyone here has their bun insured and who you are with. Its so hard to find a company that doesn't just insure dogs and cats..

Hi there,
I'm glad to hear that Amber is better. What medicine are you giving her? My vet suggested that when I gave my rabbit Maisy her antibiotics by syringe, to also draw up a small amount of Ribena at the end so that it would encourage her to take it and look forward to it (I had to give antibiotics for a long time and it did help).
As for the insurance, I wish I had mine insured as it cost me over £100 when Maisy got injured. I had decided not to get them insured as the rabbits I kept when I was a child never had much wrong with them (big mistake!). :?
I know that Petplan insures rabbits and also our local vets have their own insurance plan, so it is worth asking your vet.

Hiya,

Sophie is insured with Petplan for £60 something a year. I too found it difficult to find a company that just wasn't cats and dogs! i only found petplan, but it turns out the cover was actually quite good for the money.

Good luck and glad your bun is better!!!

Hiya

Princess my bunny is insured with Petplan - it cost £65 for the year which is quite good. I have to pay an excess of £60 but I decided to insure her cos she seems to be one of those buns u just know will get ill!! She came from a rescue and she was a 'stray' before I got her, so that was also a deciding factor.

My other two buns aren't insured though, I just put a certain amount away each month for them and I would ALWAYS find the money if needed :)

Nicola

We paid £6.00 a month for our other rabbits with petplan,which turned out to be very good, as it would have cost over £1000.00 for Dusty's treatment and about £800.00 for Jasper's.

Pity they both died from their ilnesses though :cry:

Never mind better luck this time round with Oscar :) (Ihope).

I would normally say to insure every time but We haven't this time....best not tempt fate :?

I did insure my bunnies, again with petplan, but decided, as I hadn't used it, it as probably best to just put some money aside, just in case. I don't think things like neutering and vaccinations are covered, so it depends on each bunny and what you think is best I think.

I have decided to insure Skip soon as they won't insure rabbits over the age of 5yrs (unless you already have insurance with them) He is 3yrs now and has never had any problems but the older they get the more likely it is.

I don't trust myself to save money and although i would pay anything no matter the cost to help him the debt it would put me in would prob cause me to have a visit in a hospital !!!

Its good to hear Amber is better! I mix medicine with mashed up strawberry, it makes it easier to give. Jack runs away if he sees a syringe, but will lick up medicine from a plate or your hand if its mixed with strawbery!

I'm also with petplan. It costs me £90 a year (they work the amount by postcode), and they don't pay for the first £60 of treatment.

Despite being insured from the start, I have spent several hundred pounds on vets bills since getting Jack, (he wasn't in the best of health when we got him, he's had ears mites, bouts of snuffles, an unidentified infection, also gi stasis, reaction to vaccine and an injured paw) and haven't once been able to claim yet, as the treatment always works out as just under £60. I've also had the cost of mxyi and VHD vaccines, and of neutering.

The insurance is good for peace of mind, but it might not stop you having to pay a fortune in vets bills :?. At the moment, I try to lay money aside each month for the animals as well as paying the insurance. I'm trying to decide whether or not to continue with the insurance...

You will be exempt from claiming on any existing condition or related problems. Sooty is insured but not for snuffles as he had it before i applied> they will review individual cases if the bun has been well for a specified time. I give Sooty his antibios by squirting it on dandelion leaves or anything hes eating. The syringe was stressing us both out. He is also on Avipro probiotics to help with the friendly bacteria (sound like that advert)

I`ve got my 2 new buns insured with Petplan because they were always really good when my i had to put in claims for my last two rabbits. My excess is £60 for each one but they will let you claim more than once for the same condition. I had to claim a few times for my other rabbits as they got older and although i would always find as much money as necessary for vet bills it just makes things easier! I would definitely recommend it! :)

There's been a few discussions on insurance before & mainly it comes down to how many buns ( animals) you have. As other folk have mentioned the excess can be quite high - it looks like its doubled since I first had Petplan 5 years ago, and you can't claim for existing conditions prior to getting insured. You'll also find the premiums go up year on year not by a lot in money terms but by about 25% which is a bit cheeky. They also go up as the rabbit gets older and ( it used to be) that the excess went up after you had made a claim, but this might not be the case now the excesses are higher. Having five furries in the house our Petplan bill was going to be around £34 a month so we decided to put some money away each month instead, that way it could also be used for vaccinations too. Luckily Id only ever claimed a couple of times for injured paws £100 a time and the emergency weekend call out when Evie died. Like all insurance it is peace of mind.

Back