• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Too much fur! - shaving and kittymalt

BevBunny

Mama Doe
Charlie has medium length thick fur - I wouldn't class it as long but its not as short as my other bunnies. Also there is an awful lot of it. He's not great at grooming himself so we have to do it quite a lot and it gets matted.

We do our best but I am thinking about shaving him a bit - probably just round his bum cos he has this longer bit there - it sort of looks like a hovercraft skirt sticking out the back of his bum! I'm sure I've seen people mention shaving/clipping bunnies in posts on here - how do you do it? at the moment I cut clags out with a little pair of scissors, but I'm tempted to go a bit further. We have normal human clippers, or do I need special pet ones? He's going to the vets on Friday for myxi vaccination - should i see if the vet will do it? He's very laid back bun it won't stress him.

Also, Charlie is moulting at the moment and it seems to be really bothering him. He's tugging at his fur a lot (and eating it, if I don't get it off him first) and is a bit lethargic. I'm off to find some kitty malt - in a post Adele said an 8th of a teaspoon twice a week. So shall I give him some and see what happens to his poo? At the moment his poo is really small and hard, which also bothers me, will the kitty malt help this?

Any guidance would be appreciated, while I go and brush him AGAIN! :?

oh and just cos its a cute pic, the buns say hello....(apologies for fuzziness its off my phone)
Copy1ofImage031.jpg

Hi Bev.
Ive never tried clipping my rabbits but i have had to trim the odd knot out with scissors. I think most people use safety scissors to trim long haired rabbits. Clippers have to have a special end on them or they will clog up with fluff i believe.. i would think they are more easily going to nick their skin tho.
I give mine kitty malt every so often and it does sometimes help with their poops. Give it a go.. i believe it helps stuff move through their digestive system easier so if there is a blockage of fur it may help it to come out. I give mine about 2mls each week or whenever i feel they need some.

Back