• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help and advice needed!

jennee

Young Bun
Wow.. I just got my bunny yesterday and .. weird things kept happening! First, I think she hates me or I really don't know if it's just because she hasn't warmed up to me yet, but in my opinion, it's hard to tell whether she hates me of likes me up to this point. She has started licking me, (which I read it to be as a GOOD thing) but she also nips at me too! :( sometimes when I have her on my tummy she lays still while i pet her and makes those "teeth-purring" noises and stays still for quite sometime. But then, she turns her head around and starts sniffing at my hand or my arm. Then she licks me couple times and then nips at me! I don't know, it doesn't bleed or anything but it scares me so I just let her go thinking she doesn't want to be pet anymore.. but why does she lick me then right after do that? It's like, two differant signs of emotions.. or is it? Sometimes she would sniff around my neck then start hopping away but today... and here's the most shocking part: she PEE-ED on me. She crawled onto my neck looked around and all of a sudded I feel this warm feeling and I put her down and reach for a tissue and after I wip it off, the pillow behind me has a huge pee stain! :shock:
Ah! One more thing. Is it normal for bunnies to hop and poo each time they hop? For about 5 droppings consecutively?
Oh what is to become of us? :cry: Please help me!

aaaawwww dont panic.. it sounds like your new bunny loves you loads! :D It could be that when she is licking you she is in bunny terms grooming you in return but then nips you as another part of grooming or because you have stopped grooming her. Mine give me the odd nip when they have had enough or as a hint to carry on. The peeing could be a scenting thing or it could be a mating behaviour. Is she spayed? How old is she?
Enjoy her she sounds like she has settled in really quickly with you. :D

My bunny will sit still for ages while i stroke him but if i dare stop i get a nip as if to say 'carry on please' :D
As for the weeing thing it's to mark the sofa as theirs. Skip is littertrained but has weed once on the sofa/bed/in the toilet/living room. Just to make sure it's his :wink:

If she's licking/nipping at the same time its possible the nipping is part of grooming. Bunnies use there teeth to groom themselves (and other buns) they run them through their fur and nibble at any untidy bits. Unfortunately humans don't have fur to protect them so the grooming can feel abit rough when the teeth are involved.

It certainly sounds like she like's you alot from your description of the behaviour.

Bunnies use poop/wee to mark their territory (you have been officially marked as hers) this will hopefully settle down more as she settles in and becomes more comfortable with her new surroundings. Neutering can also help.

Tam

Thank you all for replying back to me! :D I sure hope you guys are all right and she doesn't hate me. Maybe when she becomes of age spaying her will help. And boy, does she run like the wind for her small size :lol:

Hiya Jennee - sounds like your having fun with your new Bunster eh :wink: - what have you decided to call her :?:

Great advice here already and as already mentioned it does sound like your new bunny loves you loads. Just give things a little time - 24 hours isn't long and your new bunny will still be finding her feet in her new environment.

Re the peeing - that will probably adjust once neutered - also as she's in new surroundings she won't have got used to the rountine of where her litter tray is normally kept etc.

I'm sure your going to have great fun with her - how's about posting some pickies soon so we can all say hello to the rascal :)

Hello~ :D Well, I decided to just name her Bonnie because my whole family calls her "bunny" because I couldn't think of a name for her (I'm really bad with names) and I don't want her to just be called "bunny" it's so.. unspecial :( And I think Bonnie is a cute name for her 'cuz it describes her (I think, a lil tiny furry ball) I tried :oops:

Aww that is a lovely name!

I second what the others have said that is one bunny that is very happy!

Caz

Back