• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit friendships

Nando

Young Bun
When I got Harry from the pound, I had intentions of putting him and Charlie together. They went through the bonding process well, or so I thought, and I tried putting them together. At first everything was okay but then Harry attacked Charlie and I couldn't get them apart even with a spray bottle. I finally picked Harry up and he bit me in the arm, but I don't mind. I don't get why they didn't get along. Maybe they didn't have enough bonding time and I am planning on trying it again next weekend in a completely neutral area, weather permitting of course.
Now I was wondering if there is something I could do to promote successful bonding? Harry is neutered and Charlie is spayed so there is no problem there. For the last week and a half they have been living side by side in their shed and have really gotten to know each other. I'm really worried if it doesn't go well. Last time no one got hurt, except me, but maybe this time they won't be so lucky? :? Any help would really be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

You have my sympathies... I bonded Totti and Brody over a week and wrote about each stressful moment on here :wink: Like your situation, Brody was a rescue and I got her with the idea of her becoming Totti's gf but it didn't work out. So for about 2 years (!?) they were in seperate hutches but would sniff each other through the bars. They returned from a holiday at Auntie Adeles and she felt they were ready to be put together. So I took a long gulp and attempted bonding again.
I have posted the link (jeez this brings back memories) as a lot of other people contributed as well
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1637&highlight=lotta+loving

Good luck, hope this helps and keep us posted :thumb:

Might need the link with Sooty and Lolly in the future. I'll bookmark it. Good luck with Harry and Charlie :D :D :D

i am assuming charlie and harry are both boys. i normally pair up the rabbits for ARC and i would never attempt to pair up 2 rabbits of the same sex, as i found in the past that they are very aggressive towards each other.

maybe its worth a try, but you will have to keep a close eye on them whilst letting them be togther.

good luck.

sophie

luvabun said:
You have my sympathies... I bonded Totti and Brody over a week and wrote about each stressful moment on here :wink: Like your situation, Brody was a rescue and I got her with the idea of her becoming Totti's gf but it didn't work out. So for about 2 years (!?) they were in seperate hutches but would sniff each other through the bars. They returned from a holiday at Auntie Adeles and she felt they were ready to be put together. So I took a long gulp and attempted bonding again.
I have posted the link (jeez this brings back memories) as a lot of other people contributed as well
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1637&highlight=lotta+loving

Good luck, hope this helps and keep us posted :thumb:

I've just had a read through your thread, sounds very stressful!!

I'm introducing my two for the first time tomorrow with no bars between them. Since I live in a small flat and there is nowhere neutral I'm taking them both along to my friend's kitchen to do it. I'm just wondering, if I do the introductions there and it goes well can I try them together in my bathroom maybe tomorrow night? Joey hardly ever goes all the way in, he
just sits under the radiator. If I clean it so it doesn't smell of him do you think that will be ok? Or do I have to keep taking them to my friend's kitchen until they start grooming each other?

(sorry for long post!)

Yes, Joey is a neutered male and Skye is an un-neutered female (although I will get this done).

So when do I know that I don't need to keep taking them along to my friend's house to let them meet? What signs should I look out for? I thought it was if they were comfortable with grooming each other.

i agree, as long as they arent being agressive towards each other. you have to expect a bit of mounting, and feet stamping but i normally leave them together if they arent aggressive with each other.

each pairing up is different, see how it goes and if it isnt going well split them and try another time.

i agree, as long as they arent being agressive towards each other. you have to expect a bit of mounting, and feet stamping but i normally leave them together if they arent aggressive with each other.

each pairing up is different, see how it goes and if it isnt going well split them and try another time.

So I should introduce them in my friend's kitchen a few times and if they get along and there's no agression, at that point I can put them together in my bathroom, even though it is not stricktly neutral. That's my plan anyways.... it's up to Joey and Skye whether it works that way! :lol:

i think that sounds good, if they are ok the first time you introduce them i would leave them together if they seem to like each other.

he may mount her more than usual as she isnt neutered.

when you bring them back from your friends house, i would keep them in the same basket as car journeys are stressful for them and it will help them bond.

sophiemarmion said:
when you bring them back from your friends house, i would keep them in the same basket as car journeys are stressful for them and it will help them bond.

I was thinking of trying this with them too, but I'm worried that my carrier isn't big enough for two. It's like a cat sized one. Two buns would fit in but it might be a squeeze. Do you think that would be ok? It's only be for about 15 minutes or so.

p.s. Sorry if I've hijacked your thread Nando, hopefully this advice will be useful to you too.

Thanks for all your help, guys. Charlie is a girl and Harry is a boy, but they are both fixed. I will look at that thread that you posted, thanks so much again.

I just have one question...if harry and Charlie decide to start fighting like last time where nothing will stop them, when do I separate them? Should I let them keep fighting unless there is blood or should I separate them immediately?

Nando said:
I just have one question...if harry and Charlie decide to start fighting like last time where nothing will stop them, when do I separate them? Should I let them keep fighting unless there is blood or should I separate them immediately?
My nerves couldn't stand keeping them together until they draw blood. Its a balancing act between regular humping to establish dominancy and out and out aggression. I can only say that I "felt" when it was the first rather than out and out nastiness. Hope that helps and that I haven't put you off... to see them now is so worth the stress :thumb:

Joob-joobs said:
I've just had a read through your thread, sounds very stressful!!

I'm introducing my two for the first time tomorrow with no bars between them. Since I live in a small flat and there is nowhere neutral I'm taking them both along to my friend's kitchen to do it. I'm just wondering, if I do the introductions there and it goes well can I try them together in my bathroom maybe tomorrow night? Joey hardly ever goes all the way in, he
just sits under the radiator. If I clean it so it doesn't smell of him do you think that will be ok? Or do I have to keep taking them to my friend's kitchen until they start grooming each other?

(sorry for long post!)
I'd definitely give it a go at your friends which is absolutely neutral and if that goes OK, move on to your bathroom (having taken the measures you suggested). I'm not sure I'd put them in the same carrier unless I'd got someone else in the car to seperate should WW3 break out.

Both of you, good luck and keep us posted :thumb:

This is all very useful advice for me too as I have been trying to introduce our young unspayed doe Hermione to a new neutered friend Phoenix. I started off thinking she was going to on the timid side, but she seems to have undergone a transformation in the last 2 weeks. Could be hormones as she is reaching adulthood or could be the power thing as poor Phoenix seems petrified of her. :? :(

I guess it's been tough for him, moving house to ours recently, and before that he had been rejected by his former girlfriend after she gave birth (another story). They meet up regularly in our kitchen and never draw blood but after a few encounters Hermione takes over all the 'rabbit space' and Phoenix is relegated to a remote corner of the kitchen. :(

I feel these encounters do nothing to bolster his flagging ego, and wonder if I should leave off until she is spayed. I was planning on waiting until she is 6 months because I heard it could play havoc with their endocrine system if you do it too early.

What a carry-on this bonding lark is! :roll:

Lynsey

It certainly is Lynsey! A friend of mine has a young male that used to run round me and sprayed the kitchen and me :shock: when he stayed at my place. He has now been neutered and has a gf that he was introduced to at a rescue and it was a match made in heaven. :roll: :wink: His spraying etc. stopped after the neuter so all I can say is it does have a major impact on their behaviour :roll: The pairing went well from the onset.... grrrr (I'm pleased for them really) :wink:

Back