• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grazing grass

Lynsey

Young Bun
Hi

Our rabbits are in their run all day (with access to their hutch), so they have access to grass the whole time with a hay rack too. I have noticed that they go mad for strands of long grass that I hand feed them but don't seem fussed about the shorter grass they are standing on the whole time.

Much as I love them, I can't sit there all day feeding them individual strands of grass and I don't think they eat that much hay. Any thoughts?

Lynsey :)

could you not move the hutch and run around the garden :wink: bunnies make excellent lawn mowers :wink: 8) :lol:

If not, what about getting 2-4 large litter trays and putting some turf in them :wink: you can rotate them so your buns get some really nice long grass in there runs for them to chomp on :D the turf trays can be left outside and put to one side while they grow, but would recommend regular watering during the summer months :wink:

Bunnies can be funny things :lol:
I have deliberately left one corner of my garden with long grass, but will my 4 darlings eat it? Will they eckers like, that's for playing in :lol:
They love to eat the shortest grass possible and dig at the roots!!
My lot have free range around the garden when I'm in but when I am at work they spend time in their large run and I have to trim this grass as they wont eat it :lol:

Mum to Harry, Marmalade, Smudge and Treacle

Different grass tastes different. Things like type, amount of sun, quality of that patch of soil, new/old growth etc. can all change the flavour. Of course everything tastes better hand fed too ;)

Tam

My three buns used to be on grass and never touched it, but we pick them a giant handfull each just before bed and they wolf it down fussy buns eh? :lol:

Back