PDA

View Full Version : Grazing grass

Lynsey
20-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Hi

Our rabbits are in their run all day (with access to their hutch), so they have access to grass the whole time with a hay rack too. I have noticed that they go mad for strands of long grass that I hand feed them but don't seem fussed about the shorter grass they are standing on the whole time.

Much as I love them, I can't sit there all day feeding them individual strands of grass and I don't think they eat that much hay. Any thoughts?

Lynsey :)

Denny
20-05-2005, 03:13 PM
could you not move the hutch and run around the garden :wink: bunnies make excellent lawn mowers :wink: 8) :lol:

If not, what about getting 2-4 large litter trays and putting some turf in them :wink: you can rotate them so your buns get some really nice long grass in there runs for them to chomp on :D the turf trays can be left outside and put to one side while they grow, but would recommend regular watering during the summer months :wink:

Mad_cat_rabbit
20-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Bunnies can be funny things :lol:
I have deliberately left one corner of my garden with long grass, but will my 4 darlings eat it? Will they eckers like, that's for playing in :lol:
They love to eat the shortest grass possible and dig at the roots!!
My lot have free range around the garden when I'm in but when I am at work they spend time in their large run and I have to trim this grass as they wont eat it :lol:

Mum to Harry, Marmalade, Smudge and Treacle

Tamsin
20-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Different grass tastes different. Things like type, amount of sun, quality of that patch of soil, new/old growth etc. can all change the flavour. Of course everything tastes better hand fed too ;)

Tam

5cutebunnies
20-05-2005, 09:47 PM
My three buns used to be on grass and never touched it, but we pick them a giant handfull each just before bed and they wolf it down fussy buns eh? :lol: