• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hair loss/balding/shedding in patches

Hello everyone,

Does anyone here have a rabbit(s) who sheds fur in patches around the legs and belly?

Saw a rabbit the other day with hair loss around the legs (both sides) and some on the tummy. The skin wasn't inflamed, it was healthy and pink and not dry or itchy or oozing or anything. It didn't bother the bun at all.

Anyone see this before? The bun was a lionhead type, possibly a cross.

I have never heard of this/seen it before...very interesting!! Sorry to be no help, the topic just caught my eye :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only rabbits I have seen before like that are ones which have either been having lots of phantom pregnancys or usually those who have been continually bred. I know mites often first cause a problem on the inside of the rear legs however you normally get some rough patches with that.

We have just taken one in who is pregnant who has very little fur on its inside of its legs and on its belly. The chances are that the one we have has probably been used as a 'baby machine'. Otherwise I have never seen one like it and don't really know why this would happen.

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care.

This bun was an entire male (confirmed by the rather large testicles...;)) so I guess it wouldn't have been that...the only thing I could come up with is funny moulting patterns...maybe caused by excess heat caused by rubbing and being kept in too warm of an environment?

The skin underneath was fine, so we didn't make much of it, but I'm still really curious to find out if anyone's seen this before!?

what breed is this bunny my mini cash losses hair there and on the chest no were else but there iv been told its due to moult, but unsure
becky

I haven't met any like that before. All the buns I usually have are very furry, the only fur they seem to loose is with the normal moutling.

Maybe someone will come up with a reason.

Janice

Back