• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inside or out?

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I really dont want to be cruel to my bunny but my bun stays outside all year round is this ok i protect the hutch with tarpolin and plenty of bedding :)

I don't think it's cruel, as long as they've got somewhere to shelter and warm to snuggle into - sounds like they have.
My big buns stay outside all the time. I tried Bobby inside a few times, and he didn't like it. They much prefer it outside, where they can be proper bunnies!

hi there i have house rabbits and outside rabbits and believe me my outside rabbits are very happy as long as you keep them away from any drafts, they can deal with the cold but not dralfs.

your not being cruel this is how most people keep rabbits very sucessfully, keeping house buns is a relatively new thing!

Eve x

i always cover my buns over at night to stop them from getting cold and to stop foxes. i do prefer it when my buns have friends so that they can snuggle up to each other in the winter!

My two rabbits are kept outside all year round and are very happy bunnies. They have a hutch with ramp down into an open large run, so can shelter from the weather at any time. I've put their home in the bottom corner of our garden in the shade, so it is sheltered by our fence and shed on three sides.

I'm very lucky because I have a totally enclosed garden, with six foot fencing so when I'm at home, I leave the hutch open and they do as they please so get loads of freedom.

my pepper is an out side bun and he loves it
i too have 6ft fencing alround my garden and
he has free run when we are at home and his hutch is always
open but what he does do if there is no one out side is
come in to the house to be with us and he will lay under the coffee
table for hours :lol:

Ours live outside for most of the year and are covered up at night. For winter, I bring them into my garage, for 3 main reasons: 1) It keeps them warm & dry, 2) much easier for my kids to go and see them and more importantly!, 3) it saves me walking out in the rain/snow to feed/clean them!

Out of interest, my garden is enclosed and I would love for them to run free, however, I have a pond and three children, so the back doors are constantly left open and I can see them coming inside. Have thought about puting up some smaller fencing to keep them away from the house, but really not too convinced by this at the moment.

Has anyone any similar experiences of ponds/constantly open back doors?

Cristian

outside

there is nothing wrong with keeping your bunnies outside...this is how many rabbits live as long as they are warm & snug in the cold weather (as yours are)just make sure they are safe from predators ) I have a big furmonster (fox) problem here so always worry about that.

It is quite obvious that my outside rabbits are happier than the ones indoors, although the ones who live inside and run outside did appreciate their radiator during the winter - perfect for warming your bum after a mad dash around a frosty garden.

The key is giving them room to run about. A rabbit confined to a hutch outside is not going to be as happy as a free range house rabbit, but give them a good sized hutch and run - one in which they can run, not just hop once or twice, and they will be extremely happy outdoors. I am sure they like listening to the birds sing :D

Maybe I'm a bad mummy, but no!
Mt bunnies prefer to sit out in the cold even though they have two lovely warm snuggly hutches to sleep in, so I jsut assume they're never that cold.

I THINK THAT OUT SIDE IS BEST FOR THE RABBIT THEYDONT FEEL THE COLD AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT WET OR IN A DRAUGHT, AS FOR HUTCH WARMERS I THINK ITS A WASTE OF TIME. ALL MY RABBITS ARE OUT SIDE AND IN THE WINTER U CAN PUT EXTRA BEDDING IN AND THEY USE IT AS THE LOO,OUR WINTERS ARE NOT COLD ENOUGH TO CAUSE CONCERNE.

Cristian said:
Ours live outside for most of the year and are covered up at night. For winter, I bring them into my garage, for 3 main reasons: 1) It keeps them warm & dry, 2) much easier for my kids to go and see them and more importantly!, 3) it saves me walking out in the rain/snow to feed/clean them!

Out of interest, my garden is enclosed and I would love for them to run free, however, I have a pond and three children, so the back doors are constantly left open and I can see them coming inside. Have thought about puting up some smaller fencing to keep them away from the house, but really not too convinced by this at the moment.

Has anyone any similar experiences of ponds/constantly open back doors?

Cristian

Hey there!

I have two 'freerange bunnies' vinnie 8 years & lovage 2 years, vins lived like this since ive had him and ive had no accidents etc ~ the main to points to consider are
a. secure fence
b. No poisonous plants, shrubs, trees are accessible to the bun ~ u can find lists on most websites and books.
c. Lock them in their hutch at dusk (fox protection!)
d. your children are conscious of being careful in the garden on their play toys bikes etc.

I have a 6 year old son, a dog & 3 three cats that share the garden with them and everyone gets on well because theyve all been brought up together and my son was taught from scratch to respect & love animals.

Rabbits are very clever and ponds dont usually cause a problem but maybe an ornate small fence could be erected to ensure complete safety?

My rabbits are out from 8am til 10pm in the summer and til dusk in winter and are very happy, they also come into the kitchen via the back door to see everyone but if u would rather they didnt~ babygates are perfect :)

I also have 2 houserabbits at present (for rehoming) and any opportunity ~ they sneak out the back door, they have the run of the house but love venturing outside too so I think if house bunnies get access to daily outdoor excercise they are as happy as bunnies living outdoors :)

All my buns are outside all year round they all have each other and plenty of shelters and they love being outside most of them hate being inside! I wrap my bottles in sheepd wool (my mum spins it) for the winter the water doesn't freeze as easily!

Just an idea: At night time i always put the mesh side of charlies hutch to the wall, it keeps him sheltered, safe from foxes, n it gives me and him piece of mind!! :lol:

post subject

my 2 live out all year, they have a pvc run protector that I had made which is great, It has a side panel which comes off seperatley to the roof it also has windows in it so they can see out.

So when its pouring down they sit in their run totally dry and out of the wind.

www.pettents.co.uk

I think thats the address, but if you do a google search you`ll find the site.

Back