• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

malocclusion

Debbie

Young Bun
taking home a bunny who has continual problems with her teeth, she is only 6months old - teeth have been clipped twice already

i have been told they can be removed rather than continual clipping of the teeth so am just wondering what would be best in this situation? or if there is anything i should do when she arrives to make her life easier? :roll:

thanks x

I had a bunny with teeth problems, but these were his back ones. If he'd survived through the recovery after the operation then he would of had to heve them done every 6 to 9 months. The vet said front ones where easier to manage, provide the bunny with soft fruit wood, and let them chew them down.

Hi Debbie my bun Bernard has had his two front top and bottom teeth removed and he manages brilliantly without them :D

He had them clipped about four times and I didnt want that for him every 2 weeks so I opted to have them removed and he is no different than our other 4 buns, we just need to cut/shred his veggies into smaller bite size pieces that he can take straight into his mouth an chew with his back teeth.

I would seriously think about it, I feel its much kinder for the bunny, it cost me £65 but i know prices differ from vet to vet.

Squidgy had his front teeth removed too, as they had to be clipped so often, and I thought it was distressing for him. He manages fine without them. As 5cutebunnies said, just chop everything up smaller. I help him with his grooming as well, by just combing him every day.

ty 4 all the info! i was quoted £65 for them to be removed! i have never had a bunny with problems like this so am trying to read up on it all before she gets here lol :wink:

An excellent article Caz both interesting and informative.

I have now fostered a few rabbits which have had their front teeth removed due to malocclusion. They have adapted very well and very quickly to the changes which occur following teeth extraction. They have all managed better with foods which they cannot selectively feed from such as Escel or Science Selective and only require minimal extra care in fresh food preparation and assistance with grooming. Removing the teeth on the ones I have had, I believe has greatly increased their quality of life.

We have managed to rehome all our front toothless rabbits as house rabbits.

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care

Back