• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

daddy bunny doesn`t look well

flopsys mum

Young Bun
Hi,
I am feeling a bit worried about Wilbur. He has been very quiet today just sitting still no running around like normal. we have been able to walk up to him and stroke him and my hubbie was able to pick him up to put him to bed. It usually takes us half an hour to herd him into bed (with us like sheepdogs). You cant usually catch him to stroke (he is like lightening.

I have stuffed his bed with hay to make it warmer for him as it has been cold today and he has been outside and i thought maybe he is cold and I have given him some of his fav food.

The main reason I am worried though is because we have just lost 6 baby bunnies over two days and then the next day i found flopsy had had three still born kits. The vet said the babies were hungry but someone on this site said it sounded like they had flopsy (which i think looks more likely after reading a website on it).

But now wilbur doesn`t seem himself I am worrying incase they all have got something. I wanted to bring him indoors but my hubbie said he thinks he is better off in his own bed (hense me stuffing it with hay and his fav food. I have put some vitamins in his water too.

He is just sitting in the corner of his hutch. I keep telling myself that even if his under the weather it doesn`t mean he is going to die but all our other bunnies looked fine and died.

Does anyone know what else I can do. Obviously if he ie still quiet in the morning I will ring the vet.

Sarah

If it really concerns you, maybe tomarrow you should take him to the vet just to make sure. I really wish you and your baby the best and we will keep all fingers and paws crossed! xxXxxXxx

Is he still pooing? Keep a very close eye on him and definatly get him to the vet in the morning.

XXXXXX

As long as he is still pooping, eating and drinking then you should be safe for the evenig but def get him to the vets in the morning, he may seem alright by then but buns are very good at hideing pain. hope he feels better soon

Lots of love XXXXX

Hi,
Yes pets are a worry. Funny thing i was never really a pet person but my son who is 6 (5 when we got the buns) loves animals and small creatures had been wanting a bunny for ages. My daughters friends bunny had had babies and said we could have one if we wanted. We went round to see them and ended up with two (I had read on the net before we went that buns liked company). Wilbur and Flopsy. Even though they are outside we really love them. I didn`t know that bunnies were such charectors.

We had them when they were 10 weeks old and have had them about 10 months now. They have been great with no worries until this last fortnight. We just cant believe that all our lovely babies have gone. I just hope Wilbs is o.k.
Wilbur has not been in contact with the babies though so I hope he hasn`t got the same thing.

Flopsy was quiet yesterday but was bounding around the garden tonight and was in a really good mood.

i will be glad for things to get back to normal.
I went to the pet shop yesterday to thank them cos they were really good when my mother in law went in with my 12 yr old daughter to get powdered milk for the babies. my daughter was really upset and they gave us some powdered milk heavily discounted. anyway while I was there my eyes filled up telling them that none of the kits survived. The lady there started to tell me about her chinchillas babies she lost two of them and we were both crying in the shop.

I can`t believe it was me. I have become a pet person. I could never hurt an animal before but must admit that although i would sympathise with people I used to think `its only a pet, fancy getting upset.

Now i am worrying over everything.

Sarah
p.s. This web site is brill though. Noone laughs at your worrys and everyone tries to help. It is great. I have found a lot of tips on her.

I hope he is feeling better in the morning. You're right about the people on here, they are very supportive and there is a wealth of knowledge out there. Good Luck xxx

Hi,
Wilbur seems perfectly normal this morning. i think maybe i am just over worrying at the moment. I have got to go to work now for a couple of hours but will be back soon to see how he is.
Thanks,
Sarah

Phew, that's a relief, glad he seems back to normal.
Just a note on the babies - if Wilbur and Flopsy are brother and sister and also mum and dad to the kits then any babies they have would be at risk of genetic defects. This may explain why they died.

Back