• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tizzers Disease??

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Hi Guys

Last night at 9.30pm one of the foster Gps collapsed, i rushed him to the vets but ten minuets after we got ther he died! My vet was utterly stumped as she could feel nothing wrong with him. They did an autopsy this morning to reveal that he had Septecemia (blood piosening). My vet said that this can be caused by alot of bacterias, we have only had them since the 5th May, and what i really need to know is how long he could have had it, a day a week a month! i need to know for my own peace of mind wether this is something he got when with me! his brother is ok he's little wobbily and very quiet, he has had some antibiotics from the vet and i have been told to keep a very close eye on him (which my mum is doing whilst im at work). they have never been near the other pigs or any of the buns. also how can they Catch/develop it.

Thanks

Phillipa

Usually septicemia is caused when a large volume of bacteria get into the blood for example through a ruptured bowel, ruptured abscess, untreated wounds etc.

It isn't usually something they can catch from each other as far as I am aware.

It is possible the GP had an undetectable problem internally that caused bacteria to get into the blood. I am sure there was nothing you could have done!

Caz

The vet said that when she opened him up all his organs bar his liver were normal, it was grey in colour! I feel really bad though and i think it's my fault i know that sounds silly.

Thanks Caz At least i know that it wasn't caused by me, i hope.

Thought id let you all know that my mum just rang to tell me that the other piggy has just died!!

My week just hets worse and worse. :cry: :cry:

Oh god Phil, I am sorry you are having a pretty cr*ppy time of it at the moment my heart goes out to you.

It may have been a hereditary condition then or something from their previous home.

Just to be safe I would disinfect using one of those strong anti-bacterial/anti-viral disinfectants like Virkon.

Caz

Thanks Caz, The owner when she dropped them off said that she had dropped the first one that died that morning. he had a bit of a sore neck but nothing else. and they have both been running and sqeuking around since they came. I am begginging to think that she may have dropped both of them and this caused something to rupture and cause the Septecimia, as this is the only explenation me and my vet can come up with, neither had any outer cuts or leisons. :(

Oh my god phill :(

What an awful, awful week you are having, you must be ready to give up

on everything :cry:

Stay strong, big hugs to you xxxx

Little update for you, my week is getting worse!!
elaine,

i spoke to my vet about the second piggie and she wanted to do an autopsy on this pig aswell she thinks now they may have had Tizzers desease, i have allowed her to do this but she is not charging me for it. Me and my mum have done some reasearch on the internet about it this evening and it is apparently very common in lab animals. Can be stored in the body for years and only become apparent when the animal has a change of environment or stress, it takes about 13 days for symptoms to appear and then death is almost iminent. So it would appear that they were already carrying it but because of the move it has come to the surface. The only thing i need to do now is disinfect everything as the rabbits can get it and it is transmitted by spores from there poo.

****!!!!!!!!!

First thing in the morning when she's done it! I just have to cote everything in bleach and hope for the best. Bleach apparently does kill it if left on for 5 mins!

Thanks charnaine. It'll will just be a case of wait and see, i am going to check with the vet to see how likely it is that the Buns could get it as it just said on the web site Labratory Animals!

Hi,
Oh my gosh! What a worry. i thought my year was bad but you are having a terrible time.
I hope that it doesn`t go to your lovely buns.
I am thinking about you,

sarah

Don't know if you have seen the references on:

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html under Gastrointestinal System and Problems

Tyzzer's Disease (caused by Clostridium piliforme):

He has 6 listed and they do say rabbits can be infected I'm afraid:

Tyzzer's Disease - The Biology of the Laboratory Rabbit
Tyzzer's Disease (scroll down on page) - Barbara Deeb, DVM
Tyzzer's Disease - Merck Vet. Manual
Tyzzer's Disease - U. of Missouri
Tyzzer's Disease - Michigan DNR
Tyzzer's Disease - Lela Riley et al.

Hope you have a better week next week!

Caz

Back