• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Telling your vet your bunnys age – good idea?

Toby

Banned
Sometimes I think it was a bad idea telling my vet how old Toby is. Because now they know they don’t want to do a lot. I get the feeling that they think, his an old rabbit what’s the point. Can anyone recommend a good vet in the surrey area, as I might change. I heard there was a good one in Sutton?

sometimes especially with old bunnys, operating on them ect can do more harm to them than good. Some vets try and see if the bunnys own immune system can help them along the way. I don't think its cos theres no point as they are getting paid :roll: but some vets are quite cautious especially with very old bunnys!! But if I was you I would change vets and see how you get along :)

missshell said:
If you look on thw webite www.animal-lifeline.co.uk and look under petwatch they recommend a good vet in sutton which they use.

Yes I can vouch for the Vets recommended on the Animal lifeline site, thats where I take my bunnies, they are quite resonably priced too

The Corner vets
0208 641 6126

Opening hrs
Mon -Wed - Fri 9am - 10:30am & 3pm - 5pm
Tues & Thurs - 9am - 10:30am & 3pm - 4pm & 5pm -7pm
Sat - 9am - 11am (12pm for pick ups)

They are the vets for Animal Lifeline & Bobtails so they deal with ALOT of Rabbits.

Good Luck and hope Toby feels more like himself very soon. :D

Oww thank you so much I will try those :D . Do you have the full address - just so that I can locate them on auto route to see where they are :)

Sure,

Corner Veterinary Clinic
1 Stayton Road
Sutton, Surrey
020 8641 6126

As i said we take our bunnies there, mainly because we found out they did deal with the 2 rescues and therefore dealt with rabbits frequently, they offer a reduced cost for Myxi & VHD (£34.02, just gone up to £35 something) or £22.68 each if you dont want both vacs.
Dont know how this compares to ytour vet?

It must be good as we were in their one saturday and there was a couple with 2 rabbits who had traveled quite some distance to bring their rabbits to that vet, where there must have been a closer vet to them.

I wish I could drive as I could have offered to drive you but unfortunatly i dont (I live in Carshalton, Surrey)

Good luck anyway.

P.S they have a website www.thecornervets.co.uk but it doesnt really have anything on it yet

Toby, as tempting as it is to keep his age a secret, as was already mentioned, this could be very bad for him.

Certain procedures shouldn't be performed on older animals. Sometimes vets will use different meds or analgesics/anasthetics on older animals, as their bodies work differently and sometimes some organs can't keep up as well anymore. They're fine with dealing with everyday life, but when you do something like add a drug to their systems, it could just be too much.

But if you don't trust your vet to do everything he/she can for Tobes, then go somewhere else!!!

Reason why I say this is because Toby has had 2 runny eyes for a while now. It started with one then went to two. Most other rabbits will get diagnosed with something and get treatment. Toby has been to the vets 3 times about this and his had a good check over but said nothing much. Apart from the fact that his teeth (I suppose back ones as his front ones look fine) look a bit crooked. When I told him his age he said "Well I suppose a rabbit of that age is allowed to have the odd thing wrong with them :shock: ). I agree it’s expected but if there is treatment then I am going to want to try it. Maybe there isn't anything wrong but I might check with another vet.

Toby said:
Reason why I say this is because Toby has had 2 runny eyes for a while now. It started with one then went to two. Most other rabbits will get diagnosed with something and get treatment. Toby has been to the vets 3 times about this and his had a good check over but said nothing much. Apart from the fact that his teeth (I suppose back ones as his front ones look fine) look a bit crooked. When I told him his age he said "Well I suppose a rabbit of that age is allowed to have the odd thing wrong with them :shock: ). I agree it’s expected but if there is treatment then I am going to want to try it. Maybe there isn't anything wrong but I might check with another vet.

lol yeah, but alot of treatments are risky with old rabbits. maybe they dont want to put the bunny through the stress of surgery...

and btw how did your job interview go after a terible night with \Toby :?

I understand that however at the same time it doesn't mean that the bunny should suffer :D . Our dog is in his 20s and healthy, but had bad teeth. The vet said no to surgery as he was so old but my mum said that he was strong and health and she demanded it be done (he needed teeth out). Benji breezed through the op. I understand that its different with a small animals and i am not saying the vet is wrong. Maybe there isn't anything wrong with Toby and his eyes have just gotten sensitive with age - but Id like to think that vets would not put his age before his health. If Toby became in a bad state and needed an op to have a chance, I would demand it be done.

I posted a thread on general called "Interview" chat about it :)

Back