• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Details

TGrogan

New Kit
Hi I'm currently in the process of making a hutch and run for my Rabbit! I'm soon hope to get teh rabbit 'Stich' advertised on Rabbit Rehome (See Teh webspage for details) :p. I'm just wondering if the following legths would be acceptable. I'll tr and post pictures wen done.

Hutch:
110cm x 60cm x 65cm

Run
350cm x 150cm x 40cm

Any thoughts/ suggestions/ constructive advice would be appreciated.

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/rabbitsneedsecs.htm this article by the RWF has some good information about hutch sizes and about rabbit companionship.

If my calculations are correct your run sounds like an excellent size (11 ish feet x 4.5 ish feet) although if you haven't started it, it may be advisable to make it a little taller to enable the rabbit to be able to stretch up and jump around.

Is the hutch going to be with 24 hour access to the run or separate? If my calculations are correct 110cm is just under 4 foot x 2 foot deep which sounds just a little on the small size if it doesnt have access to the run all the time, the height is great.

I hope that will help you

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care.

jrn1310 said:
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/rabbitsneedsecs.htm this article by the RWF has some good information about hutch sizes and about rabbit companionship.

If my calculations are correct your run sounds like an excellent size (11 ish feet x 4.5 ish feet) although if you haven't started it, it may be advisable to make it a little taller to enable the rabbit to be able to stretch up and jump around.

Is the hutch going to be with 24 hour access to the run or separate? If my calculations are correct 110cm is just under 4 foot x 2 foot deep which sounds just a little on the small size if it doesnt have access to the run all the time, the height is great.

I hope that will help you

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care.

yes there will be a door leading straight from the hutch into the run with a ramp leading in for daytime but is able to be closed for nightime to keep in cold and block view of predetors and for cleaning times. Thanks for your advice on the height, the more i think about it the more it makes sense. In the future would it be possible to get him a neutered girlfriend :wink: a rabbit such as Star advertised on teh site would be the ideal companion. :?: Thanks alot for your help,

TGrogan

5cutebunnies said:
How exciting all this preparation is, sounds like you have got it all in hand, when are you going to get your bun?

thats teh thing, i'm trying to get all teh prep work done as quick as possible so as the little Bunny doesn't get sold :(

Did you say it was a rescue rabbit you are after? If so you could possibly reserve him till you are ready, I did that with the two rescue buns I had :D

5cutebunnies said:
Did you say it was a rescue rabbit you are after? If so you could possibly reserve him till you are ready, I did that with the two rescue buns I had :D

great, i seems i hav had a setback, i am increasing the legnth of teh run by 50cm, decreasing the legnth of the run by 50, making in 55cm tall. I will also invest in securing the garden so it can run around peacefully, with close supervision of course!!! :) I am not all that happy about the run legnth but it seems that it is rather too big at 3.5m!!!

If your rabbit is going to come from a rescue talk to them about holding on to it for you until you get accomodation sorted, also do talk to them about the accomodation which you are thinking about building to check that it is suitable for them.

The one thing worth considering before you build the hutch is that a hutch less than 4 foot will be rather cramped for two fully grown buns to be left in over night. It is certainly worth giving them as large accomodation as you can at the start rather than discovering that they have outgrown it and then having to either make another hutch or having to make adaptions to them.

jrn1310 said:
If your rabbit is going to come from a rescue talk to them about holding on to it for you until you get accomodation sorted, also do talk to them about the accomodation which you are thinking about building to check that it is suitable for them.

The one thing worth considering before you build the hutch is that a hutch less than 4 foot will be rather cramped for two fully grown buns to be left in over night. It is certainly worth giving them as large accomodation as you can at the start rather than discovering that they have outgrown it and then having to either make another hutch or having to make adaptions to them.

160cm not big enough in a hutch ? :(

160 cm sounds fine to me for a pair. It sounds like they will have a wonderful hutch and run, they will be very happy bunnies.

It certainly is worth doing the home work now so they get something really good for them.

Janice

160cm is 5' 6" ish so thats a nice size for the hutch. Making the run a little taller is a goot idea, 55cm high sounds okay. They stand up and bounce alot so that will stop them knocking their ears ;)

300cm (10') is a great length for the run, there should be plenty of room in there for toys and running about. Also for you to sit in so you can play with them.

Tam

Back