• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutches bits and bobs?

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya,

OK I'm needing advice on things to put in my hutches, so far I've bought four water bottles, bowls and hay racks.

I will be putting toys in. I'm having new carpets in a couple of months so will be able to put my old one's over the hutches and Bryn's pinching me plastic sheeting from his work to go over that (for bad weather). I will get litter trays. Snuggle safe's do I need those? Also do you know where I can get cheaper bottle covers from (the one's that stop algae and stop bottles freezing). Do I need to put in vet beds? I am planning to put straw in the living area and hay in the sleeping compartment, is that right? I will get gnaw blokes.
What else do I need as I'm stuck?

If I don't reply for a bit I'm having to do some work. Thanks for your help.

Ok in my hutches I've got:

Food bowl, water bottle.

In both areas I have straw and hay for Pippa my Rex (cos of her feet) and in Amy's hutch I have straw in her sleeping area and Vet bed in other area (she also has a litter tray in each area too as she is messy!). I have litter trays downstairs plus they also have cat beds which I put their Snugglesafes in when it's cold (only in the winter). Also hay balls etc for toys. Don't think there is anything else needed. My Dad made them a waterproof cover each for the outside, it just pulls over when it is raining to stop the rain getting in.

Think anything else would just be toy wise and anything to keep them amused.

Nicola

i tree i think you have covered everything pending on the bun i buy cat litter trays and put them in the sleeping compartment as there bed and a litter tray or another cat tray for there toilet area, some of mine poo in both! but it saves on ruining the hutch floor! i dont give them snuggle pads unless they are ill or post op (but then they normally come inside then anyway). i dont use vet beb because i find most of my buns chew it!

as for the bottle covers the proper ones are £9.99 each and in our case would cost a fortune so in the winter i by mens thick socks and that stops the water freezing and white cotton socks in the summer or bottle brush that stops the water going green!

also i buy bubble rap and net curtain hooks and eyes so you can cover the front of the hutch when it is snowing or raining but they still get light!

Eve x

Hi, i would recommend not bothering with straw and just putting hay throughout the whole hutch. My bun loves the hay in big piles almost up to the ceiling as she makes a big tunnel!!! Everything else seems great. I think everyone on this forum has the most pampered bunnies in the world!!!

missshell said:
I think everyone on this forum has the most pampered bunnies in the world!!!

I agree!! Lucky buns eh?! I thought I had the most spoilt bunny in the world until I joined this forum!! :shock: :lol:

Bottle protectors can cheaply be made out of the foil stuff that you put behind the radiator held together with some velcro.

For healthy rabbits snugglesafes are not necessary, however it is useful to have one in case you have a sick rabbit in the cold weather.

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care

Or if your bunny is pampered you may want a Snugglesafe (as mine are!) although Pip is a middle aged lady and Princess has cancen (in remission)!

Thats for your help guys, I will use socks or rad cover for my bottles. great idea with the bubble wrap too, I know where I can nick some :wink: ,

Also I don't think my hutches are treated, can I treat them with fence stain, I will only do the outside.

Tree said:
Thats for your help guys, I will use socks or rad cover for my bottles. great idea with the bubble wrap too, I know where I can nick some :wink: ,

Also I don't think my hutches are treated, can I treat them with fence stain, I will only do the outside.

can u nick me some too tree :lol: i use duck (its pet freindly) and i use it inside and out!

Actually I could try, as Jonah who works with Bryn deleivers up by you a lot. I could try and get him to take some down to you.

Wheres Duck from, just B&Q?

Tree said:
Actually I could try, as Jonah who works with Bryn deleivers up by you a lot. I could try and get him to take some down to you.

that would be great matie xxxxx

Wheres Duck from, just B&Q?

yep slightly more expensive (but u like that :lol: ) but really good stuff!

:lol: I don't prefer it, but I've nothing else to spend my money on. I will have a word with Bryn tonight about the bubble wrap.

Back