• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hes always hungry!!

mollyhop

New Kit
hi all,

I think my bunny needs help, no matter how much we feed him, hes always hungry. We give him the maximum amount of pellets he can have a day, provide him with unlimited hay. He gets a generous helping of veg a day, yet by about 9pm hes really hungry. In the mornings we can hear him running up and down his hutch and when we go and feed him its like hes been starved!! He sometimes resorts to eating newspaper which isn't good for him I know!

He has grass during the day because hes let out until about 6pm. Anybody got any ideas?!?!? One day hes gonna eat me i reckon!!hehe

Thanks!

:lol: He sounds quite the character. My bunnies get quite excited when it's time for their pellets. I don't think its necessarily because they are starving, as like your's they have hay to each. They consider pellets extra yummy though so its abit like a child getting excited because its desert time.

You could try putting the pellets in a treatball, that spread out the time taken to eat them.

Also having wood to chew like apple or willow branches, might stop the newspaper eating.

Does he have toys, rabbits like to be entertained. Mine with throw around and shred newspaper fun fun rather than actually trying to eat it.

As long as his weight is fine I wouldn't worry too much about him being hungry.

Tam

reminds me of my bunnies lol they never stop always searching for food and begging for more when theyve had it

lisa

he has loads of toys and i brought him one of those balls but hes clever and knows which way to tilt them to come out :lol:

He has blocks to chew ect and he also chews his hutch. I feel as if i should be feeding him more though because i feel guilty when hes hungry!!

He is prob just very clever and wants to get more food out of you! My rabbits are like this, although Princess is the worst. She always 'says' she is hungry but I don't give in to her demands for pellets! She only has small amount of pellets plus hay + veg (though she isn't keen on hay!) and gets let out every day for few hours, plenty of toys etc but she still is like this :) It's just the way she is and she is such a character! As long as ur bun is the correct weight I wuldn't worry, as Tamsin said he is prob just excited about food - like some ppl some rabbits really love their food and some are calmer about it!

Nicola

Sooty has taken to eating and drinking much more now. I guess its his age and hes growing. The vet said he was perfect size. When he gets really hungry i use the treat ball filled with pellets and that amuses him for a while. Also helps if i refluff his hay if hes flattened ot. He thinks its new stuff :D :D :D

That reminds me of my one of my bunnies (who is now a pampered old man in heaven) he used to get the food bowl and throw it around the hutch to let us know they needed more food and when we put the full bowl back in he'd snatch it off us!!! Youd think he had gone a week without food not 2 minutes!! You're bunny just sounds a greedy boy like mine!!

WOw that sound familiar, Jess is exactly the same, ALWAYS wanting food, she also throws the bowl around when its empty, shes a crafty one and tears up the newspaper and munchs in front of me staring at me, as if to say "look im so hungry and your not feeding me so i have to eat this old paper" I dont give in though otherwise she wont eat her hay!

Petey gets very excited about food, if you go near his hutch and you dont give him anything he wont let you have a cuddle and he sits and sulks!!

There are times when you cant the the food bowl in the door quick enough, they have their feet and noses in the bowl before youve even got it through the door!!!

Twinkle runs to the front of the hutch and waits by the door when she hears the rustle of the food bag, she even does it when she still has food left in her bowl!!! :shock:

Roo is a bit like this....he is a little piggy when it comes to food and will demolish his pellets in ten minutes in the morning.....its more like watching a dog eat....: )

I now try to hide his pellets in various places rounds his run so they last him a bit longer.......he especially likes them being put in a small plastic bottle and throws it about to get them out.

Back