• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Petshop Bun - to buy or not to buy???

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi All,

I dont know if you will all be angry with me about this but please dont :(

I recently posted about a pet shop in Walsall that I beleive is keeping rabbits/gps in cages which are too small. ANyway, the RSPCA disagree and have said are ok as thye meet the guidelines set by the local council...... :evil:

To cut a long story short there is a very adorable male (so they say) black lionhead in there. He has been in there over a month, maybe longer, and at 16 weeks old (i asked for info about him when i went in on saturday) realistically he isnt going to sell. All the other rabbits that have been in there over the past few weeks have practically flew out as they are, ( i hate to say it) the stereotypical cute baby bunnies that kids fall in love with get their parents to buy. Theres been 6 babies bunnies that have sold over the past few weeks.

I keep going in there to check on the buns and this little lad just sits in his cage in the same position all the time. I poked my finger through the wire on Saturday and he nuzzled up to it. I know its wrong but I desperately want to buy him so I can save him from the boredom of where he is at the moment and more importantly what ever may happen if he doesnt sell.....i cant imagine the shop owners will keep him for much longer.

I know its wrong to buy from a petshop when there are so may rescue bunneis out there looking for forever homes but im petrified that this little chap will end up being one of those or something worse.

I know me buying him will encourage the owners to get another one to sell as they will have a 'spare' cage but i cant bare to see him looking so bored and miserable.

Can anyone offer any advice?

(please dont shout at me) :( :cry:

Oh Holly no ones going to shout at you. Ultimetly the choice is yours wether to buy him or not to no one can tell you other wise! there are a few people on the forum who have done just what your proposing bought a bun from a pet shop to save it from a worse fait! I myself have done this. Lavender my white angora was from a pet shop. she had a blocked tear duct matts in her coat and looked very miserable. The shop told me she was 10 weeks old! I think not as she has only gorwn about an inch since we got her which was 2 years ago! she was in such a bad stait and when i pointed her eye out to the assitant got told there was nothing wrong with her. I bought her (don't shout at me either) and took her straight to the vet who prescribed some eye drops and antibiotics (it was quite a nasty infection) I love her to bits and would'nt change her for the world, sometimes you just have to make a choice!

Hiya,

Its always gonna be a difficult choice, here are somethings to think about...

You buying him will free up cage space for more bunnies for sale.

Ask the shop what happens if he doesn't sell, it might just be he stays until he does.

If you do get him, try to persuade them to let you have him free so your not supporting their trade.

Ask if you can put up rabbit care posters/info that will help improve the homes the rabbtsgo to.

It always worth talking to the owners. They may be more friendly than you expect.

Tam

hi there i agree with tamsin but if you do get a negative reponse then the choice is up to you, i have done the same as that i bought a rabbit from a well known pet shop chain because they openly admited that they would pts the bun if i did not buy him at a reduced rate! and they do have a instore vets so i know this to be true, so if you feel you would like to help with this bun go ahead and do so, i felt happier about myself knowing my flopsey had a chance at life!

Eve x

Thanks everyone, i was convinced i was going to get shouted at!

I dont think they would give him to me for free but next time i go in i will ask about what will happen if he doesnt sell.

Supporting their trade and freeing up more space for buns are the major factors as to why i am a bit reluctant to buy him. It would break my heart to get him then go back in a week later to find the cage already being used again.

We got Elvis from a pet shop, nothing wrong with him or the pet shop (different shop to the one in question here) I just fell in love with him instantly but after finding this forum i feel horrendously guilty for supporting the petshop trade and not helping a rescue bun.

I don't think anyone will judge you if you find out the shop policy and what will happen to him etc. Sooty is my black lionhead and is a wonderful wee soul. Good luck with whatever you choose x

should I buy

AAAWWWWWW I think I would let my heart rule my head & buy the little chap...you clearly are already "in love" with him.

Awwww I can't blame you for wanting him after he has sat their week after week bored silly. Talk to the shop and see what their plans are should he remain there much longer and if you arent comfortable with the answers then you go ahead and have him. its your choice but I think we would all find it hard to ignore him.

Sweetie, I can understand everyones reservations and noen of us want to support bad practice with bunnies but sometimes its a case of rescuing them form the petshop, else they're probably going to end up at a rescue centre anyhow. My first two buns were from petshops - Charlie was from a breeder but via a petshop, and then I got Fern because I found her in a petshop in a complete state - she was 11 weeks old, her eyes were so runny that the fur was rotting off her face and her teeth were a mess - I couldn't bring myself to leave her there. I get the impression you're feeling something similar.

I think Tamsin's is a good idea, ask what they are going to do with him, and then decide.

I gave myself a deadline with Fern, if she was still there in 3 days I'd take her. She had 6 very happy years with Charlie and me.

Thanks for all your messages folks. I was scared you would all shout!

I can only get to the pet shop on a saturday as its by my moms but im going this weekend. Im going to ask all the things mentioned on here, namely what will happen if he doesnt sell........

Depending on the response -

'get rid of him/send him back/have him pts' - IM HAVING HIM!

'leave him till he does sell' - ill leave him there but keep a close eye on him and decide in a few weeks if he is still there.

What do you think???

sounds like a sensible idea. I'd lay odds on him still being there on Saturday :wink: black buns aren't that popular for some reason. btw I got Totti from a pet shop ...... he was sold at a discount as "damaged goods" as they thought he was blind. :wink: I've ocassionally wondered what his fate would have been

luvabun said:
black buns aren't that popular for some reason.

Ive heard that mentioned before.........why aren`t they that popular? This one is a little cutie. Hes got a bit of a scraggly mane, only seems to be on the top of his head and at the side of his ears though, not like the conventional manes ive seen on piccies of other lionheads and it doesnt look like its ever brushed. He occasionallly has wood shavings caught in it.

I know for a fact he`ll be in there on saturday, but i bet the baby lop in the next cage wont! :evil: It makes me so mad!!! They keep selling out of baby rabbits but this little cutie keeps getting over looked!

Hiya, you have not done anything wrong in considering buying the bunny, for he is for sale in the first place, so it is the law that needs reviewing :) , but as Tams has suggested there are perhaps other approaches for folk to consider when faced with this exact dilemma :)
I like having a list of practical ideas to follow, then at least it gives you a guideline when emotions are running high :)
I remember when I saw Angel in a pet shop years ago, and she was obviously very stressed and not very well as a result. :( I was so tempted to buy her and take her home and I really had to drag myself away, but I made the decision to sleep on it and go back the next day.
I am so glad I did, Angel was not in the shop and I asked where she had gone.
The Owner said Angel had been removed as she was unwell and due to be PTS as they could not sell her in that state (their words and not mine).
I suggested that if the Shop owner would give Angel to us free in lieu of the inevitable vets bills, would she please allow us to take her.
The Lady seemed very pleased with this idea, and promptly handed Angel over.
I did think we would have a battle on our hands, but if you give people a chance as Tams says, they may be much friendlier than you think :)
Angel has now enjoyed six years here in the Sanctuary with some buddies :D

No one should shout at anyone else for having a different approach to these things, but we can help by perhaps giving practical solutions for the next pet shop, shall I buy bunny or not dilemma.

Thanks Adele, I do feel a bit better after reading all of the positive responses from you all.

I havent actually bought the bunny yet. When i came out of the pet shop on saturday i decided that rather than just go in and buy him I would come on here first and ask for advice as to what to do. If i had gone with my heart I would have bought him there and then but my head over ruled and i knew that i didnt want to support their trade or free up space for more buns.

Ive been very patient as ive been in to see the little chap every saturday bar one for just over a month and he still looks as bored, depressed and cramped as he did the first time i saw him. He has food and water so is looked after in that respect but its just the fact that hes been in there so long and is being over looked in favour of the the baby buns.

I think its probably a good job I dont live that close to Walsall anymore as I probably wouldve given in and bought him by now.......i knew there was a reason why I left home!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Could you call them to make sure they dont have any plans for him which before Sat eg going to a rescue. I'm such a worrier. Hera a sooty pic to cheer you up
unfiledApril2005b016.jpg

Sooty said:
Could you call them to make sure they dont have any plans for him which before Sat eg going to a rescue. I'm such a worrier. Hera a sooty pic to cheer you up
unfiledApril2005b016.jpg

Oh hes gorgeous!!!! Reminds me of the little fella in the petshop only his mane is all scraggly as they dont brush it! :(

I have no idea what their phone number is as its not in the yellow pages or directory enquires, (its a newish shop i think) but ive got the day off on friday so im going to go in and see him and talk to the owners.

ahould I buy

I was in this situation once..every week when I went to the petshop A little agouti girl was there...all the others went as they were prettier colours but no one wanted her...each week I gave her a cuddle & said \I hoped she would be gone next time I went in but she was still there, SSSOOOO I said right if you are still here next week I will have you...guess what! she was & I did...I never regretted it..I am so glad I have her.

Back