• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toby not that well this morning

Toby

Banned
I think Toby has gutts ache this morning. I woke up to find him very quite in his cage, he normally greets me when I wake up but this morning he just laid turned away from me with his eyes half closed. Just having a feeling something was wrong I quickly got him out to find a dirty bottom (not normal for Toby, in fact id have to say it was a first to be as dirty). I cleaned his bottom and feet and he started licking himself as normal. I clean his cage out as well and put some hay in and I planned on keeping him in the living room today so I could keep my eye on him. He had some hay, but again, he soiled and it went on him a bit so I cleaned him again. He appears ok when running about (occupied), but he does tend to want to lay down. His droppings are not watery just very soft and large, which is not like Toby. I think it a similar thing happened once, but only once not twice. I would like to take him to the vets but I don’t drive and bf is at work, and I don’t think they would class this as an emergency. I suppose Ill just keep my eye on him and see how he goes.

Oh poor Toby, and poor you the worried Bunny Mummy :(
Do you have some probiotics in to help his guts? Is Toby drinking okay, as it is important to check he is taking on enough water.
I hope he feels better soon, poor poppet..let us know how he is later.
Best wishes Adele

Thanks guys, I am concerned.
Adele I don't have any probiotics but then it depends on what you mean by that. This is the first time id class Toby as being off - so I am a little un experienced with poorly buns :oops: Is there anything in particular helpful to give Toby - if I don't have it I could run out and get some.

If you think he does have a tummy ache, then some gentle massages and a hot water bottle will make him feel better. It's good he is still going to the toilet, make sure he keeps eating and drinking as Adele said. Probiotics have 'good' bacteria in to help the gut to keep working properly and overcome any 'bad' bacteria. Your vets can supply you with them, some pet shops may stock them but I got mine off the internet.

I would give the vet a ring, explain everything you said to us and explain he is an older bun, they may suggest something to you or want to see him.

Hope he feels lots better soon.

Nicola

Going to call the vet, its getting him there that will be a problem :? By the sounds of it I need to get some stuff from them anyway. So Ill let you know :) He has settled down a bit more - his just sleeping now.

Toby said:
Going to call the vet, its getting him there that will be a problem :? By the sounds of it I need to get some stuff from them anyway. So Ill let you know :) He has settled down a bit more - his just sleeping now.

cant you call a cab emma? wishing toby better!

eve x

I could, but just lost my job and I am skint, I am still waiting to get paid from them as I was only their 3 weeks :( Everything is just going wrong at the moment.

Toby said:
I could, but just lost my job and I am skint, I am still waiting to get paid from them as I was only their 3 weeks :( Everything is just going wrong at the moment.

arh poor you, lsnt it frustrating when things happen like that :( maybe toby will enjoy a bus ride then? 8)

eve x

Just called the vet and went through it all with her. I am going to pick up some Probiotics from them. I can’t take Toby in because it will course him to much stress on public transport but I really would if I could. If he has not improved within 48 hours I will take him straight in, no matter what its in (bus, taxi,pushbike, wheel barrow whatever...).

I was just thinking: It wouldn’t be germs on the hay world it? Just that I got some Medow hay from the pet store last week and I saw a pidgon feather mingled in some of the hay. I took that part of the hay out but just wounded if it would be ok?

Toby said:
I was just thinking: It wouldn’t be germs on the hay world it? Just that I got some Medow hay from the pet store last week and I saw a pidgon feather mingled in some of the hay. I took that part of the hay out but just wounded if it would be ok?

emma could it be the changes in pellets?

Oh poor Toby :( Emma, take him off the guinea pig food and the kittymalt for now - it could all be too rich for his tummy.
I know that you want to give him the best foods and change his diet but he's 13 and he's healthy :D Keep him to the diet that he has always had - it's got to have worked well as he's still around :D
I can understand you wanting to give him kittymalt but maybe, just maybe it is too much for him :?: I would try him again with the kittymalt in a few weeks and see what his reaction is then. I would not give him the guinea pig food again just incase.
Sending lots of healing vibes Toby's way - come on old fella - get yourself better soon - xxx
PS - try the probiotics and some infacol as well :D

I was just going to say maybe its the guniea pig food, claude ate a load and he got squishy poo
Id get him rabbit pellets in the future
Hope hes better soon

Gosh that’s my work out for today, what a long walk that was.

Been to the vet and got some Bio-Lapis and I am now just waiting to see/when he drinks it. His still quite but not had a messy bottom while I have been out. He is eating his hay fine. I am going to take him to the vets tomorrow morning if there is no change.

I am not sure it’s the gp food as his not really eaten that either. I mixed it with his normal food and it looks like he had picked his normal food out anyway. However lastnight he had his normal mix....no pellets at all. But I think Ill keep him well away from pellets anyway that way I know its not that. I gave him Kitty moult because his dropping was small with not much shape so I tried that just in case but his not had much of it anyway. I never give Toby much of anything on the first time.

aww poor toby, It's good he's eating his hay Emma.
Hope he's feeling better soon, keep us posted.
Give him a cuddle from me.x

Back