• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay scar

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Me again! Just finished grooming Nala and was having a nose at her scar from when she was spayed.. Its hard to find now as she has alot of fur there now. It healed really fast and at one point the stitching seemed to be coming off.. it didnt have to be removed as supposedly they were intradermal stitches which dissolve so i didnt worry about it. Anyway when i just looked there is a sharp bit at one end of the wound. I am guessing this is the end of the stitches altho i would have thought it should have gone by now.. she was spayed almost 2month ago now i think.
Any suggestions?? Im at my parents so cant go to my usual vets until next week now when they are due their jabs anyways. I cant see any redness and its not swollen and she didnt flinch when i was fiddling with it so im assuming its nothign too bad.

Hiya Diddeen, it may be a but of a scar that is waiting to come off..as long as the area is not swollen, red or filled with fluid all should be fine.
Sometimes the area takes a good Month or more to heal up completely, it sounds like the beautiful Nala is fine though, as she doe not flinch when you touch it.

Can you try and find it again amongst all that long fur, and see what colour it is, and a bit more info..nothing like giving you a challenge for a Sunday evening is there :lol: :lol:

I am not at all worried just being nosey as you brought it up..I want to know ALL the gory details now!! :lol: :lol:
but you know we have to say this anyway, I think it should be the RU Mantra!! :roll: :lol: IF IN DOUBT CONSULT A VET!!!!!!!!!!!.....but it does not sound urgent , so you have no excuse to leave your parents early :wink: :lol: but if they are as half as nice as you Diddeen they will be lovely :D

hehe i looked and it is white which is why i thought maybe it is a piece of stitching? The skin certainly looks fine.. cant actually see the scar can just feel it! If i can still find it in a week's time i'll get the vet to look when she gets her jab. Im not worried either.. just interested as to what it could be :?

Hi Diddeen, I know buns are different, but when I had my 2nd op, one side of my scar had a sharp bit sticking out too. Id been given disolvable stitches, and it didnt go, I had to have it snipped out by the nurse, as it was still there 3 months later!! It has healed up now (but it never caused me any bother, so nala will be fine!!) :wink:

My little girl's scar is healing just fine and that was nearly a month since she was done. In fact its quite hard to find (its only a little tiny thing), and she is too fidgety when she's on her back :lol:
If you're worried get her back to your vet as soon as you get home, sometimes we get worried for no reason :wink:

DSCI0024.jpg

I know its he's not a bunny but my other half had knee surgery at the beginning of the year and several months later all the stiches had come out or been removed except one odd sharp bit that stuck out of the end of one of the scars. The Dr told him not to wrry about it cos it wasn't inflamed or anything, last time I looked it was gone. I would have thought that it'd be the same for a bunny, as long as she's not going to try to chew at it or anything.

Has Nala's fur grown back then? Lavender was spayed a few days after Nala and she is still bald! She hasn't got any visible stitches, she had internal ones and the outside was glued - its really neat, only about 1 inch long. I'm just getting concerned about the lack of fur/stubble/any sign of regrowth! :?

My marmalade had her's done on the 26th of April and she's got quite a decent lot of growth on there, its lovely and soft and silky like, but not quite to the length of the rest of her underbelly :lol:.

DSCI0024.jpg

Harry the Gorgeous

When I had my appendix out I had dissolvable stitches and a few months later I noticed a white bit sticking out, when I pulled it a piece of stitching tied in a knot came out yuck!

When Nala goes in next it may be worth he vet checking it just to be sure it isn't catching on anything.

Caz

Thanks guys.. i will get it checked if its still there next week.
She has loads of fur on her belly now.. hard to see where it was shaved really.. its just a little shorter than the rest of her fluff!

Back