• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Evergreen grass fertiliser

Debs0371

Warren Scout
Hi guys', I'm not sure where to slot this post so hopefully I've put it under the right section :oops:

I'm having my garden revamped soon and the plan was to get rid of hte existing grass as it's patchy, weedy and have new turf laid along with a new patio and decking.

The guy I've hireed to do the job, is now saying he thinks I shoud keep the existing grass, just add new turn where required and treat the existing lawn (mess :lol: ) with evergreen fertilizer / weed killer. He's suggesting the one on the TV advert that has the dancing frog on the lawn.

Thing is I have a run on the lawn that I put my 2 boys in to have a play and stretch their legs :D but dont know if this product could be harmful to them, :shock: as obviously they eat the grass when they are in the run.

I'd hate to make them ill, or worse :(

Does anyone have any knowledge of this product and whether it would be safe to use?

we have just fed our lawn and i always keep the buns off it for a while afterwards as pets should not be allowed on grass whne fertiliser has been added can u not put them on a patio
i brought back my front lawn from virtually nothing wiv a feed from wilkinsons it was just clover no lawn u should see it now! its perfect
sort out ur cheapest option, i new laid lawn will have an instant affect while the fertiliser will take a while to work and ur buns wont be allowed run of it

lisa

thanks for the info - I'm still waiting for the guy's re-quote for the back garden, as originally we were having a bigger decked area, but now we've changed our minds (budget restrictions :lol: ) and that means a bigger lawn area. He told me he'd quote for laying new turf so we had worst case scenario price but that he thinks better option is keeping existing grass and adding to it where necessary. I'm just wondering if he wants to cut down on amount of work he's gotta do :lol: :?

Any way, I'm expecting to have the re-quote by the time I get home from Tenby next weekend - better do as I dont think he can start the work without there being a mutually agreed price for it :wink:

How long did you keep your buns off the fertilized area? I'm wondering if it may be best to put them into baording for the week teh work is going on as I dont want to get them stressed with all the noise and strange people in the garden. There's a concrete path that'll be coming up so he might be using a jackhammer? plus lots of sawing and hammering, etc.

What do you think?

i keep my buns off for couple of weeks also depends on weather conditions and if rain has washed it all in
my buns would hate the banging but we keep them indoors if we r doing thing outside that might scare them we r redoing our back lawn now i feed it every 2wks wiv miracle growth trying to get its thickness back it was reseeded 2weeks ago and should show in another two weeks! it was fed month back but with all the rain its not in as good condition as usual bit patchy if it was to get any worse we will dig it all up and re turf it ourselves turfing is not very hard to do, but i dont know what ur lawn looks like?

when front lawn was treated i did it in august so that where weeds where killed off it left hugh gaps and patches but as it was winter i left it and by spring it was ok like no weeds had ever been in the lawn

good luck whatever u choose to do

lisa

hmmm, it may be simpler all round and safer for buns to get new turf and board them while work is being done.....

turf is good as it has an instant affect, just make sure that whoever is laying it removes all existing lawn and weeds and leaves it for about month before laying new turf as weeds will grow back through ur new turf and ruin it

lisa

Back