• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you give a few hours each month to help rabbits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello! :D

I know lots of you forum members spend quite a bit of time here on the forum helping to answer peoples questions and so on and I'm sure that means that a lot of you are keen to help bunnies in a practical way.

Here at Green Fields Rescue, we have been looking at how myself and Jamie can best divide our time.

More and more, I (Lorna) am spending time on educating the public...for example, I write an article in the local paper every 2 weeks covering a different aspect of welfare or care, last night we had a guide troop here for an education evening answering a quiz and learning about rabbits, we run educational courses here, like the rabbit massage course coming up at the end of the month, and I also go out on roving education evenings to speak at schools, community groups and so on. All of this takes hours of phone calls, preparation and background work...not to mention the time I spend each day checking bums and dealing with any poorly creatures who may need medication, special feeding routines and so on and so forth. I also have to spend a lot of time fund raising and generally raising the profile of the rescue by preparing and sending mail shots to local vets and so on. When I'm not doing that there is the endless cleaning out to be done, the paperwork to keep the finances in order, the home checks and all the phone calls and e-mails I get daily asking for behaviour or health advice. I also work (I have to to fund the rescue), and we do holiday boarding to raise funds too.... and basically there simply isnt enough hours in the day to do things like sleep, eat, do the washing and hoovering and shopping etc

Jamie (my angel hubby) works full time and then constantly builds runs, fixes things, erects new sheds, puts up fences here there and everywhere and drops everything to "put a hook/shelf/hinge up there for me Jay...." all around the rescue. Bless him.

Gawd...I have just read that back and realised WHY I dont have enough hours in the day!!!! :shock: :shock: :lol:

Anyway...I dont want you to think I am trying to make anyone feel sorry for me...we chose to have the rescue and to do all we can to help bunnies and guineas....but I think the time has come to realise I am not wonder woman and ask for some help!

We already have a fab crack team who home check for us, and my pal Jo comes twice a week and helps with the cleaning out but really, it would be great to find some more willing volunteers who could help with cleaning out and bunny hugging. Or do you have some other skill that you would like to donate to us to free up my time so that I can do more at the rescue (any ironing adicts out there.... :eek:)))))) Anyone good at fundraising who could organise a raffle each month for example and blag some prizes off different companies and so on?...that kind of thing.

I know everyone has busy lives so we are appealing for anyone who can volunteer a few hours each month on a regular basis to come and do basic chores around the place like bum checks (of the rabbits...not the people of course¬ :? ) sweeping, bowl washing, litter tray emptying, general cleaning out, grooming, answering the phone, talking to people who come to the rescue looking for bunnies etc etc. That way, it spreads the load around a bit as I know that not everyone can give several hours a week but maybe they could commit to a few hours a month? It could be at a weekend, or after work one evening perhaps?

We would only need 8 volunteers each doing a few hours a month each and we would have someone here twice a week!!!! Perfect!

I'm afraid we cant offer a lot in the way of perks but there is all the tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits you can consume, endless bunny cuddles and a welcoming smile when you get here. And when you go home...you get that fabulous feeling of wellbeing that comes with REALLY making a difference to rabbits at the sharp end of rabbit rescue.

I really want the rescue to be a community resource...and in this case, a "rabbit community" resource. I am happy to hold a coffee morning if a few of you want to meet up here and then do a bit in a team or something?

Can anyone help?

I am happy to collect people from train stations and can try and help out a little with travel expenses if the budget allows too.

I'd be glad to help Lorna...especially on the cleaning out part as long as I have unlimited access to Zorro :love: the only thing is I do shifts (as you know as you've seen me striding purposefully through Heathrow with radio :roll: ) so don't know how you'd work that in but holler if I can be of help.....

p.s. FYI everyone else... there are some seriously cute bunny bums to check here :love:

Hi there,

I am quite far from you, but if there is anything I can do to help you guys from this end, I would be more than willing. I'm quite sad and actually like paper work :oops: !!! If you want to send me any fundraising info that you need advertising, I wouldn't mind doing the write ups for you or something. I don't know how much that would help, but the offer is there. I'm sorry I can't help more with the practical work load. :( As I say, if there is anything I can do, pm me and I'm sure we can sort something out. I hope that you find the volunteers that you need! :D

Hi Lorna,

I would love to help, I'm in Harrow/Stanmore so cn get to you via m4?
If it's any help I have a week off 6th June and could do a couple of days and then hopefully 2 days a month after that as long as I can!

Is this any help to you? I would love to do something a bit more regular but I have a very presurised job :( :( and my de stresser is cleaning out hutches :lol: :lol: .

Let me know if I can help, evan if only in the short term.

Maureen

THANKYOU!

Maureen, that would be brilliant!!! You are a bunny angel!

Anna, we are not far from Reading, thats the nearest BIG town from us.

Loopy Lop (sorry! dont know your name!) can I send you some info and perhaps you could design them into A4 posters for me? Neednt be anything flash but then I can print them off this end? That would be brilliant!

luvabun said:
I'd be glad to help Lorna...especially on the cleaning out part as long as I have unlimited access to Zorro :love: the only thing is I do shifts (as you know as you've seen me striding purposefully through Heathrow with radio :roll: ) so don't know how you'd work that in but holler if I can be of help.....

p.s. FYI everyone else... there are some seriously cute bunny bums to check here :love:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Jill, you are so fabulous. You already help so much though, with hay deliveries and all that. I dont want to take advantage....although little Zorro says you can come and look at his bottom any time you like :lol: :lol:

I'm a "shifty"(!) worker too Jill, so I'm sure we can work around that.

I caan just ASk lorna and me and my mum'll be down!!! when do you want us??? (its dusty and phoebes mummy incase you hadn't quite gathered by my sig! altho it doesn't seem to be working..hmm) anyway so yea! give us a call or e-mail me to arrange some times!

Green Fields Rescue said:
Loopy Lop (sorry! dont know your name!) can I send you some info and perhaps you could design them into A4 posters for me? Neednt be anything flash but then I can print them off this end? That would be brilliant!

That's great! I'll look forward to doing them for you! My o/h is also a dab hand at doing that kind of thing, so together we should be able to come up with something useful for you! If you want me to include pics or anything in the poster, send it along with the other info!!

(my name is Laura by the way!! :wink: )

Thankyou very much Laura.
Our 9 year old guinea pig, Bumble, died in my arms this morning...and we are supposed to be open at the rescue today (although I dont much feel like talking to anyone) so....well....I am a bit all over the place to be honest. I will try and sit down and send you something later on if I get a chance but cant really think right at this moment :cry:
Thanks ever so much for the kind offer though, thats great.

Aw. I'm so sorry. Hes been with you for a while then. Think of the happy times and celebrate his wee life. I hope the help you have been offered will give you a wee bit of a break. Take care. Snuggles and huggles to you at this difficult time :cry: :cry: :cry:

How far are you from me?

Geography was never my strong subject !! I have always wanted to help out at weekends working with animals as i love them. Also i have a stressful weektime job and find animals are much nicer than people :oops:

Sorry to hear about Bumble :cry: but i bet he had a great life with you.

Green Fields Rescue said:
Thankyou very much Laura.
Our 9 year old guinea pig, Bumble, died in my arms this morning...and we are supposed to be open at the rescue today (although I dont much feel like talking to anyone) so....well....I am a bit all over the place to be honest. I will try and sit down and send you something later on if I get a chance but cant really think right at this moment :cry:
Thanks ever so much for the kind offer though, thats great.

:cry: thinking of you and little Bumble... :cry:

What side of Bracknell are you?

I drop my husband off in Bracknell on my way to work each morning (I work in Slough) and pick him up on my way home. As he is an accountant at month end he is sometimes there very late and I either have to sit in the car with a book or drive home and collect him from the train station later.

His office is near the leisure centre/dry ski-slopes.

I may be able to help you out some evenings around month end (30th-5th) if you aren't very far from his work (5pm to 6 or 7pm maybe later). It would be a couple of evenings at the end of the month and may not be the same evenings each month (as it would depend on his work load) but if it would help - I would love to come.

Caz

Caz said:
What side of Bracknell are you?

It would be a couple of evenings at the end of the month and may not be the same evenings each month (as it would depend on his work load) but if it would help - I would love to come.

Caz
Caz I'll butt in here and tell you that she's not very far from the Ski slop area, just along the ring road towards Crowthorne/ Sandhurst. Not far at all.

btw Caz, I have so many fans of the hay you put me onto, everyone's loving it :wink:

Thankyou very much indeed. My Bumble was a special old thing, but had a wonderful and long life which was enjoyed to the full so I cant be too sad really, other than the fact that we will miss her funny little ways.

Perhaps if you could all send me a quick e-mail to Lorna.field@virgin net with "RR Helpers" in the subject line (so that I have all your e-mail addresses to hand) I will try and co-ordinate some help so it is spread over the month.

WOW! So many offers of help! I knew you guys would come through!! :wink: Thanks ever so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back