• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny off dry food

Alice

Warren Scout
Since splats had EC a couple of months back he has really gone off his dry food....... I have tried him on numerous brands lately and he doesn't seem that interested and if I give him one of the mix foods he will just pick out a few bits........

As he really loves peanuts, this morning I did a little test and rubbed a peanut onto an excel pellet to give it the smell of peanuts and he ate it....so then I tried grinding up a couple of peanuts to a powder and mixing it into the food but he was not to be fooled....I also mixed some Exel into a little bit of mashed banana but he didn't look too impressed with that either.

He will eat all his veg which I give him each night, but I am a bit worried that if he is not eating his dry food he is going to lose more weight when really he needs to put more back on and won't be getting all the nutrients he needs. He does eat his hay but even this he is not really eating as much as he used to.

Does any one have any ideas how I can get him to eat his dry food, or any other advice that might help ?

Many Thanks

Alice

Hiya,

Have you had his teeth checked by a vet? They can cause a bun to change eating habbits and its worth double checking there isn't something physical causing a problem.

A diet of hay and veggies isn't a bad one. If he needs to put weight on then porridge oats might help. You can also mix these up into a sloppy porridge and add some crushed pellets - you get a lovely green goo.

He's probably not going to like me know but peanuts aren't realyl bunny food ;)

Tam

Thanks Tamsin....

Yes he had a full check over last time he was at the vet so I don't think its his teeth.

He only has the odd peanut now and again as a special treat....but beacuse he likes them i thought by dusting his food in a bit of crushed peanut it might encourage him to eat it....but I don't think that trick worked anyway....

Thanks for the suggestion of the porridge....I will give that a try

Many Thanks

what dried food have you tried?

my british giant was on/is (mix foods gradually over 10 days) russel rabbit mix when i got him and personally i dont like mixes and he was selectively feeding off it but i have persivered with the burgess junior that he did not touch for three weeks but for the last couple of days he seems to prefering the burgess over the RR now, science selective is another good one!

eve x

Hi Bunnylove....

I have tried him on the following.....

Science Selective (he used to love this)
Oxbow
Rabbit royale
A mollased mix (he eats a few random bits of this)

and at the moment excel which he also used to love....... but seemed to turn his nose up at that too this morning......the little terror.......

Alice said:
Hi Bunnylove....

I have tried him on the following.....

Science Selective (he used to love this)
Oxbow
Rabbit royale
A mollased mix (he eats a few random bits of this)

and at the moment excel which he also used to love....... but seemed to turn his nose up at that too this morning......the little terror.......

how long are you trying each one for? maybe have loads of hay ready and drop the vegs for a day see if that does anything!

eve x

Back