• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

balding baby bunny

hello i was given a link to this place via aol pets board in the hope you can help with some advice
my baby rabbit is 4 months old her mum is over grooming her and she is now bald on her head so far the skin is not sore but she looks odd
i was thinking of seperating them as i have another hutch that her dad lives in but am worried mum/baby will get distressed
i don't have enough room for 3 hutches please some help....

At four months old the baby can be taken away from its Mum without any problems

Take the Mum out of the hutch, I wouldn't put her with Dad again unless he's been to the vets :shock:

Lots of other people on here will have all sorts of helpful advice

Betty

re set up: (sorry i don't know how to quote on these i do aol boards)
i have 3 rabbits, dad, mum and one baby, i rehomed the other babies
mum and dad have been neutured
baby misty is a girl and lives with mum dad lives in hutch on top of their hutch are on a brick enclosed balcony so they get the run around the balcony when i'm not working they ahe a ramp upto the top hutch and run in and out of the 2 they have a log they sit on but prefer to chew my wooden window ledges! my daughters sandpit is out there too they like getting in that and her toys lol they come into the house alot (although dad is shyer) i think they get lots of attention from my girls they get brushed and cuddles etc
the only time they may get bored is the day i work (mon-wed) so they only get to play out in the evenings when i'm home
i don't like to leave them out unattended as they eye up the balcony wall and i one day one of them will try and get on it! its a good 20 foot drop over it!

hmm i'm worried my girls bunnies will be upset if i separate them but i think its best i at least try
mum can get quite possesive of the baby still
i think i will try moving mum and pair her with dad i know for sure he will be happy with that and keep my eye on the 3 of them over the weekend and see how it goes

Hi
Just a word of warning - if you separate mum and baby for too long you may have trouble getting them back together as they are both female. Or do all three run the balcony at the same time? If that is the case then you'll be OK as they will only be separated at night.
Hope you manage to sort it out!

they all play together at the same time so hopefuly they will be ok i'm rearraging them a bit later today when i have got my lil girl from play-school, she can help me

Sorry just read your post aproperly and realised the mum and dad buns are neutered already! Ignore me :)

Back