• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay and grass

greybunny

Young Bun
Hi! I've had my bunnies for about 3 months or so now and they're lovely! We keep them in an outdoor run (covered) during the day, which is on our lawn. But I've noticed that despite us putting large amounts of fresh hay in the covered bit of the run, they are not eating the hay. They love grass though and seem to be eating it all the time!

They don't seem to eat much hay when it's all they've got access to at night either, but they don't seem to have any problems. Is it ok to carry on with them not eating hay and just eating grass and a small amount of pellets? We've tried all the tricks on this forum, like leaving them with just hay overnight and cutting the hay into pieces.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Grass is actually better for them than hay apparently the fresh, wet grass is more abrasive. Hay is usually used when they can't get constant access to grass. As long as the grass is in plentiful supply they should be fine. When the grass runs out they will eat hay ;)!

Caz

Have you tried changing your hay to a different type? Sometimes bunny's can be funny and they want a different one!

We've tried every type of hay available in Pets at Home, Tesco and Morrisons! It's all just been used as litter. We've chopped it up, put it in a hay rack, mixed it in with grass and nothing has worked.

If grass is ok though, I'm not worried. We always have a plentiful supply of grass in our garden and so we just move the run every couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Back