• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay

I'm sure this topic has come up loads of times before, so i'm really sorry for posting this, but I did do a search on hay and it came up with pretty much every single topic! :?

I was just wondering which type of hay is best to use for buns to eat?

I was looking around a pet shop yesterday and they had normal, un-named hay, timothy hay, and this "excel forage" stuff which was quite green.

Which one should I be looking to get for my bun? As I may be bringing him home on the May bank holiday! :D

Thanks!

I buy bales of meadow hay from a local farmer it is skighty green and smells wonderful! Timothy hay is always good but mine like the meadow hay!

I have a hay question too, while you're at it. :lol: I didn't like to ask in case I got told off, for asking it and it's probably already been talked about.

There is this stuff at the farm for horses I think it's called haytledge or something (it sounds like haytledge). Can bunnies eat this?

I buy timothy hay and mine love it. The excel forage is ok, but I personally think the longer type hay helps bunnies teeth as they have to work to eat it, whereas the forage is already cut short.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes
Lian

I'm not sure about hayledge cos I think it's "fermented" hay (like silage is fermented grass)??? If it is then it might not be good for bun's tums...

Different bunnies seem to prefer different sorts of hay. I've tried mine on some from a large petshop chain (eat it but not very keen), small pet shop (loved it), baled hay which I get from a farm via a rescue (really loved it), and pricey-but-nice West Wales Willows Timothy Hay (went in about 5 seconds :lol: ).

I've settled on the farm/rescue hay because not only do they love it but it smells really nice. It's also pretty much the cheapest option. WWW is great but I can't afford to feed 4 of the little monsters on it!

Nix haylege is fermented hay your quite right we used to feed our horses on it in winter (don't have them anymore) I don't know wether it would be good for buns or not!

Glad someone has asked this question as i was thinking of posing it myself.

I use P@H own brand hay, but as I am to soon have 4 bunnies (3 at the moment) I was wondering where others who have multiple buns get theirs from as its nice to keep the costs down if you can buy qulity hay cheaply in bulk. My buns are a bit finiky with the hay, some times its gone in a flash and other times they hardly seem to touch it (Jess is happily munching on shredded newspaper at the moment and isnt at all interested in the large hay rack :roll: :roll: )

Obviously im not just interested in buying cheap if its not good quality but having seen the string the other day about the large bags of A&P pellets which im going to try switching to soon but i would like tobuy bulk for the hay too as I dont drive and have to rely on my hubby for ferrying me around to pick up bunny food and hay supplies and he is soon to be doing alot of euro travel for work so if i need stuff he wont be here to help out

Does any of that make sence...sorry for rambling!!!

Debs2811 said:
Glad someone has asked this question as i was thinking of posing it myself.

I use P@H own brand hay, but as I am to soon have 4 bunnies (3 at the moment) I was wondering where others who have multiple buns get theirs from as its nice to keep the costs down if you can buy qulity hay cheaply in bulk. My buns are a bit finiky with the hay, some times its gone in a flash and other times they hardly seem to touch it (Jess is happily munching on shredded newspaper at the moment and isnt at all interested in the large hay rack :roll: :roll: )

Obviously im not just interested in buying cheap if its not good quality but having seen the string the other day about the large bags of A&P pellets which im going to try switching to soon but i would like tobuy bulk for the hay too as I dont drive and have to rely on my hubby for ferrying me around to pick up bunny food and hay supplies and he is soon to be doing alot of euro travel for work so if i need stuff he wont be here to help out

Does any of that make sence...sorry for rambling!!!
Debs I don't know where you are in Surrey (I'm in Bagshot) but I've just been to a farm today which is 25 miles away but the hay is organic and gorgeous. Mine love it, my friends buns love it and the rescue that I give it to love it as well. Depends where you are in Surrey whether you think its worth the drive.

Thanks, im near Croydon/Sutton. Its really upto hubby as he does the driving but if you can buy in bulk and its not too expensive then its a possibility as we were going to drive to sussex to buy the A&P pellets (until we found a closer supplier in Belmont)

Can you PM me the details like where it is exactly and cost/quantity?

Debs x

I know another animal rescue who suggest a farm shot near Banstead. I have been told that you can buy a bale freshly cut for £3.50 in the summer and £4.00 in the Winter. Theyapparently also supply woodchip by the bale for £5.50 I am not sure how old these prices are but I am sure they are worth contacting. The farm is PLACE FARM, Park Road, Banstead. Tel: 01737 359586

Hope that is of help

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care

I was looking around a pet shop yesterday and they had normal, un-named hay, timothy hay, and this "excel forage" stuff which was quite green.
I'm using pets at home hay plus excel forage. The forage is just dried grass. I couldn't see anything on the bag saying it had hay in it. I've only had my buns for 2 weeks now and I've tried 2 different hays. They seemed to prefer the first one, which was more "stick" like. Whereas this pets at home one is more softer they seem to go for the stiffer bits to eat.

I keep hearing that timothy hay is the best, but it is more expensive and doesnt seem to come in the big bags.

I buy lovely hay from my local farm shop its organic hay the rabbits wont eat anything else!
Mine also get everyday the friendly dried grass still think its good to feed hay along side this

Thanks Luvabun, got your PM, I think it might be a bit far to travel, thanks anyway. :)

I will certainly look into the farm place though, thanks :D

Back