• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small poos - cause for concern?

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Just after a bit of reassurance really. I've tried searching through the old posts to see if I could find anything to help, but didn't find anything really.

Just a bit concerned about the size of Evo's poos. :oops: Since yesterday, they've been very small for him, although still full of fibre. Just gave him a splodge of Kittymalt, and will give him a bit of Infacol before Dave takes me back to my parents later. (I have to stay at my parent's when I work because the buses from where Dave (and Evo) live don't start early enough for me to get there in time). He's still eating and drinking, and I'll make sure Dave leaves him loads of hay in the morning. I won't be back from work until 4ish to check on him tomorrow, although Dave said he'd ring if Evo was poorly in the morning, I still don't think I'd get away from work much earlier.

Only things that have changed are: I gave him a treatment for mites on Monday, and he ate a chunk out of a plastic bunny toy last night. :shock: He is also moulting a lot at the mo'.

Just wondering if I should worry now, or see how things go.

Sorry for writing so much garbage to get my point accross! :oops:

Hiya Laura, you are not writing garbage, you have every reason to be concerned with Evos past history of gut statis.
I think it is prudent to give a small amount of Kittymalt once a day for three consecutive days and just see if the dropping size increases.
If things go downhill or the droppings remain small after this , perhaps you should take Evo to the vets so he can have the gut stimulant drugs just to be on the safe side.
As you know with these things speed is the essence, so you have done exactly the right thing in giving treatment as soon as Evos droppings started getting smaller :thumb: ..once gut statis proper takes hold it is more difficult to treat as you know.

We are thinking of you, and please keep us posted..give Evo a cuddle and kiss from me, fingers crossed your preventative treatment will be enough to clear things through :)
Try not to worry too much, it is a good positive thing that Evo is doing some droppings however small :wink:

Of course, he did some much better sized poos just before I left to come home. :roll: Will keep up the Kittymalt though....never used it before, but glad I ordered some just in case. :D

Awwwww hope little Evo is o.k - now come on bunster stop worrying your mum and your Bunny Forum Fan Club :wink:

Sending a snuggle

loopylop said:
Can I ask what kittymalt is?? :oops:

Hiya Kittymalt is a malt based treatment that is traditionally used to prevent furballs in cats and kittens. It is also useful when bunnies have small hard droppings, to help lubricate and keep the gut moving to stop constipation (or gut statis as it is known in bunnies..this condition can be life threatening to a bunny :( ).
Bunnies can get furballs too when they moult so giving a tiny squirt of Kittymalt once a week during the moult season can be a good idea, or when bunnies are prone to gut statis for other reasons.
Kittymalt is available at Pet shops, but buy the original and not the rabbit flavour one!! :shock:

Adele said:
Joob-joobs said:
Oop, Adele must have posted while I was thinking what to write!

:lol: :lol: Great minds think alike hey Julie :wink: :lol: :lol:

That must be it! My gran would always say 'Fools seldom differ' but I like your version more!! :wink: :wink:

How's Evo's poop size now?

We have had medium poos today. :lol: And I think he likes the Kittymalt (well he didn't run off in a strop today when I gave it to him, like he does with Infacol). :D

Back