• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

cophrages (? spelling) or soft poo

houndour

Warren Scout
Hello,

Yesterday there were rather a lot of droppings of the softer variety. They are pooing lots and lots of dry poos in their litter tray, but these softer poos are on the lino.

I think they are eating less hay than when they first moved in. Also less of the forage stuff (dried grass). They polish off thier veg and excel.

How can I encourage them to eat more hay, as I'm assuming that they need more fibre in their diet? Maybe I'm feeding too much excel?

Sam

I was told I was feeding Sophie too many pellets, so I reduced the pellets gradually and have found since then she eats twice as much hay! Although it wasn't because she had soft poo (can't spell the proper name either :oops: ) so I don't know if it's the same thing. How much veg are they having and what kind?

Marley use to have soft poo's, but since cutting back on his veg he doesn't, (aren't they a ****** to get off lino). I thought that it was because he was having too many nutrients and didn't need to eat them (that's just a guess btw).

That wasn't a bad swear word btw.

They are having the following EACH twice a day:

2 heaped tablespoons of pellets
3-4 leaves of baby spinach
10cm square of spring greens
couple of slices of carrot
couple of slices of celery
tiny bit of brocolli
2 dandelion leaves
handful of fresh grass
handful of dried grass

altho sometimes i run out of stuff.

They also get a bit extra when they come indoors. Like yesterday they had some parsley and an extra bit of carrot. :oops:

I think my bf may give them more veg than me. I keep telling him to stick to the same as what I give them. But he gives bigger portions of everything (apart from pellets).

Thats good advice from Laura, I'd certainly consider gradually reducing the pellets (probably to half rations). As Tree said, the greens can cause problems too though. It might be one particular thing thats not agreeing with them so you could try taking one type out at a time to see how that works.

Tamsin

Jess seems to have a lot of soft poo too (quite smelly :oops: ) I give her a handful of pellets twice a day, she has broccoli, 1-2 florets, 1/2 carrot and/or kale 2-3 times per week.

Its so confusing as i read so many different things about how and when to feed.

I was feeding veg every day but read somewhere that veg shouldnt be fed everyday, so I cut back.
She is currently on Juniour and dwarf pellets, but I will be switching her to Burgess excel once she is 16 weeks (is that right?? :roll: ) she is only 12 weeks old at the mo.
I know she should have unlimited pellets at her age but if i do that she doesnt eat her hay, to be honest even feeding her pellets tywice a day means she doesnt really eat much hay either!!

any ideas as she lives indoors and shes quite smelly, despite always keeping her clean!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Its so confusing as i read so many different things about how and when to feed.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm so confused as to what's right and wrong, but as with humans certain things agree and some don't. So as Tamsin says I will try eliminating some food. I shall try the celery first as they didnt have this at first.

Another thing to think about is that the veg in the shops seems to be fresh and young at the moment so is probably higher in nutrients. The baby spring greens mine have had recently has definitely affected the colour of their pee.
Also, the grass in the gardens seems really lush at the moment so this may be affecting them too.

Towsbuns said:
Another thing to think about is that the veg in the shops seems to be fresh and young at the moment so is probably higher in nutrients. The baby spring greens mine have had recently has definitely affected the colour of their pee.
Also, the grass in the gardens seems really lush at the moment so this may be affecting them too.

yes, I agree with this, the spring greens are really dark green at the moment, and I had to bring Ralf in the other day for a baby-wipe bum clean as he was really (and I mean REALLY) smelly!! He's so happy now he's all clean, but he's been great on the new excel lite until these spring greens made him a bit squishy!! I have cut back on them a bit now with him and am forcing him to eat more hay. :D

Debs2811 said:
I was feeding veg every day but read somewhere that veg shouldnt be fed everyday, so I cut back.

:shock: Mine have fresh veg twice everyday :shock:

Like you say there is such differing views when it comes to feeding, I think a lot comes down to knowing your own buns, mine seem to be thriving on it and no trouble with soft poo

Back