• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent very worried please help!!!!!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi very worried i found some light brown jelly like substance in Hermonies cage and on closer inspection some in her litter tray round some pellets, her pellets seem quite large today!

she had her VHD yesterday and has been eating and drinking

WHAT COULD THIS BE????????

eve x

It could be a reaction or stress due to the vaccination. Keep a really close eye on her - also, if you have probiotic, give her some. Empty the tray and the cage and put some clean stuff in - keep on checking. Don't let any other buns near her area incase of infection.
I'm not saying it is infectious but best to be safe than sorry. She will probably be as right as rain tomorrow :D Give the little big girl a snuggle from me - xxx

Jaypot said:
It could be a reaction or stress due to the vaccination. Keep a really close eye on her - also, if you have probiotic, give her some. Empty the tray and the cage and put some clean stuff in - keep on checking. Don't let any other buns near her area incase of infection.
I'm not saying it is infectious but best to be safe than sorry. She will probably be as right as rain tomorrow :D Give the little big girl a snuggle from me - xxx

i will give her some probitotic but hagrid lives in the cage next to her so pretty hard to separate them, jay what could it be?

eve x

hi

I think she should see a vet after seeing this article from RWF which says it is a type of diahorrea - in which case she is at the most typical age for this and needs intensive care, fluids and electrolyte.
It sounds like this condition to me:

Mucoid enteropathies

It's been known for many years that young rabbits may develop a severe illness characterised by abdominal pain; loss of appetite; and production of jelly like material from the back passage. Problems usually occur around weaning, but can occur later. Lack of dietary fibre is strongly implicated in many cases of mucoid enteropathy.

But that's not the whole story. Rabbits with mucoid enteropathy have virtually identical pathological changes to horses suffering from the dreaded disease Grass Sickness. Gut movement is controlled by the autonomic nervous system and it's this network of nerves that seems to go wrong in mucoid enteropathies - the intestines come to a standstill and secrete excess mucus. Some rabbits develop signs suggesting disruption to other parts of the autonomic nervous system, such as a relatively slow heart rate and urinary incontinence.

:( Hope I'm worrying about nothing as usual

bunnylove said:
i will give her some probitotic but hagrid lives in the cage next to her so pretty hard to separate them, jay what could it be?

eve x

Hi Eve - it could be something like ME as Elve has said - she is at the age for this which is such a worry with any young bun :(
I would still think it likely that she has been stressed with the injection and that has upset her gut flora - keeping her on probiotic and letting her eat lots and lots of hay and fibre will definitely help her.
I know that she is in the next cage but she is not in direct contact with Hagrid so that should be alright. Just keep her cage extra clean so that no infection can get in and that she herself is not attracting flies or anything.
Make sure she drinks well, eats well and gets exercise - one of the best things for any gut disorder is exercise - keeping the gut going and flushing out the yucky bits can only be good.
How is she in herself - bright and alert? It's still probably a reaction but I would still say more with the stress of the injection than the injection itself. VHD can cause them to be quiet and go off their foods but the main reaction is a limp.
Hope she is fit and fine soon - she's growing like a weed :D

hi jay my opinion after reading both post is that you are right, because she has been fine up until this point and plus i have moved her into the house, i have given the probitoic and will take her to the vets if anything changes or she continues producing this, but she is eating well drinking well and is active! and growing like a weed most definately :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks again eve x

hi

I spent quite a while researching the above info on the net - as someone said in another thread:

No, people don't have to take other people's advice but its good 'ole plain, common decency even just to acknowledge the person who has taken the time & trouble. Treat those how you would expect to be treated yourself A vet would happily charge you & not have the relevant experience on any given rabbit or guinea pig subject....take it or leave it.

I won't bother with your attention seeking again Eve!

Re: hi

elve said:
I spent quite a while researching the above info on the net - as someone said in another thread:

No, people don't have to take other people's advice but its good 'ole plain, common decency even just to acknowledge the person who has taken the time & trouble. Treat those how you would expect to be treated yourself A vet would happily charge you & not have the relevant experience on any given rabbit or guinea pig subject....take it or leave it.

I won't bother with your attention seeking again Eve!

How rude!!! and what is your problem, :roll: yes please dont respond to my posts anymore i cant take the EGO, its people like you that ruin the forum, as tamsin says people dont have to take the advice given! are you a vet?

i would have replied to your research but did not get the chance last night, just replyed to jay and then HAD to sign off!

as for attention seeking hows that????

so please give people a chance and GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

i hope she gets better soon eve lets hope its nothing to bad!!! they are fighters your giants,

haffyj said:
i hope she gets better soon eve lets hope its nothing to bad!!! they are fighters your giants,

thanks hayley, took her too the vet, and he said nothng to worry about and would certainly rule out me! :D

eve x

Eve, I just got my probiotic in the post. How do you give it? It gives amounts for water and sprinkle amounts but surely all rabbits drink different amounts (as discussed on another thread) So is sprinkles best. I'm confused! :shock:

Sooty said:
Eve, I just got my probiotic in the post. How do you give it? It gives amounts for water and sprinkle amounts but surely all rabbits drink different amounts (as discussed on another thread) So is sprinkles best. I'm confused! :shock:

you are supposed to mix it with 100ml if water but i find if you do that the bottle leaks, so providing they finish there boul of food i sprinkle it over that, or put it in a bowl with 100ml of water if they drink from a bowl. if not fill the bottle right to the top and add the packet!

Back