• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Aurotex ear drops for ear mites

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
hello, has anyone else used Aurotex to treat ear mites? I had some from my vet when Oli got ear mites about 6 months ago. They have recently come back and I put some in his ears this morning. But it made me remember the horrible effect it has on them.

It seems to cause a lot of irritation, much more than putting normal ear cleaner in (I have used Deans) or olive oil. Before when I used it on Sylvia, she scratched her ears so much she made them bleed. In the end I went back to the vet and asked for a shot of Ivomec. It is very distressing to see them scratching and shaking their heads when I put the drops in.

Anyway, the mites are not serious enough this time for a shot and I think I can get it under control with drops. Just wondering if these are actually recommended, as they are not licensed for rabbits and I am wondering whether actually they cause more irritation than is really necessary? Is it just that Aurotex is very effective at killing the mites, makes them squirm about and that is what is causing the irritation? Or is it the lotion itself doing damage inside the ear?

I use Deans ear cleaner on Oli once a week or so, and that is much gentler, he does not react nearly so badly to this one. Just a little cleaning and shaking, not the voilent scratching which the Aurotex seems to cause.

Should I discontinue use of the Aurotex or continue for a few days until the mites are under control? Would olive oil or the Deans drops be just as effective at killing the mites if I use it for 5 consecutive days?

Thanks, b-m

in think my rabbits have been on canural or something like that, it is in an orange box! that has always worked well on my rabbits!

hope your bun is ok!

We have used both Canaural and Surolan.

They do shake their heads / stick back feet in ears for a minute or so after putting it in, but they don't appear to be in distress so I don't think it is hurting them. Just probably tickles / feels weird. :?

Back