• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I inform the RSPCA

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
I had a tel call yesterday afternoon from a elderly lady complaining about a womans rabbits going into her garedn and everybody elses gareden eating their plants and other things. The elderly lady asked me if I would take them in as the owner has told this elderly ladies next door neighbour to poison them as she doesn't want them, the only thing is that the elderly ladies number is witheld and I only now the street in which the owner of the rabbits live and not a number. I have told the elderly lady that I am not the RSPCA but if she can get the owner to call me then I will take them in. Help what should I do.
Kay

I guess you could call the rspca and see what they say. No harm in that. What an unhappy situation!

How many houses in that street? you could do a leaflet drop in that street, saying you rehome unwanted rabbits, put your mobile on rather than you address and maybe the owner will contact you.

I think It is quite along street but that wouldn't be a problem anyway. I have spoke to the RSPCA and they have said until I can get a door number their is really nothing they can do (which is fair enough). I am just hoping the elderly woman phones me again today as she was really upset about it. I told her to tell the owner to give her ,her phone number and I would phone her.
I just can't stop thinking about them.

If you don't have the space I can take them as i am not far from you, this is what annoys me people have no respect for animals I am taking some in from St helens and the woman wont even help in getting them to me

Elaine

Some people are just outrageous. I honestly think if I worked for a rescue or RSPCA or as a childrens social worker that I would loose faith in the human race :(

I have a customer who actually lives in the same area who is collecting her buns tomorrow so I am going to ask her if she knows anybody on the particular street and try and find out who it is.

sorry to say this but the RSPCA dont do nothing unless its an total emergencie i think they are a waste of space
i found a bird that fell out of its nest and i phoned them up (which was about an hour later and i got though) and they said to leave the bird there it was impossible as the bird would have been killed by all the cats about so i looked after it until it got its adult wings and it was fine.
i think you should advertise the rabbit to sell it on or take the rabbit to an animal shelter if looking after it cant be done.
if the RSPCA cant find the rabbit a home over a period of time then it will be put down this is the hard hitting truth :oops:
i hope the bunny finds a good life
keep posted on what happens :) :) :)

So far none of the RSPCA centres I have spoken too pt to sleep because they need the space. Some move rabbits to other centres and some just keep them indefinately.

Tam

Tamsin said:
So far none of the RSPCA centres I have spoken too pt to sleep because they need the space. Some move rabbits to other centres and some just keep them indefinately.

Tam

you say that but what you dont know doesnt mean it doesnt happen i have studyed the RSPCA at college and if they cant find a home or a place for the animal to go then there is nothing to do then to put the animal down. my friend went to the RSPCA for wk experience but left because of how bad it was they make themselves out to be so good but how come they couldnt help the bird i saved i thought they had room for all the animals!!!!!!!

I am the friend of Bunnyhug who went and did work expirience with the RSPCA. Over all the cat and small animal department were run very well by the girls there, but it was the kennel department which applauled me and I took to a local newspaper but they didnt listen to me. While I was there a boxer dog was kicked 3 times and punched once, and becuase on the last punch he "growled" they decided to put him to sleep! He was lovely and came to me for reasurance after it happened - if only i have a camera - but you never think of theses things at the time. I was told on various occassions by the kennel, cattery and small animal staff that animals which cannot be homed are PTS. I suggested that there are smaller rescuses in the area which will take these aniamls on. But they did not listen. You are right though and I am not saying that ALL RSPCAs are like this and I am sure they are not, it depends on the people there. This is just a warning.

It's the people at certain one's I think, It's not fair to tarnish them all.

When I was going to have Maisie, I was due not have her for a while, but Lucy at RSPCA walsall rang me as they couldn't get her to eat after her operation and she had tried everything, but Maisie was very depressed and was basically lossing the will to live, Lucy had tried everything, I went and got her straight away, so I could see if I had better luck with her, luckily I did as she needed some bunny company (surely it would of been easier for Lucy to P her TS)

Marley also was at RSPCA for months and by what you are saying he should of been PTS. Lucy is very caring towards the animals in her care. They have little resources and relie on donations. You have to think what would happen to all the thousands of animals if there wasn't an RSPCA.

I specifically asked them, in writing, whether they put to sleep because of lack of funds or lack of money. If they lie about things like that then they could get into trouble for taking in an animal or accepting a donation on false pretences.

Alot of RSPCA's are totally seperate to the main organisation, basically sharing only a name. They are seperate charities, get no funding from head quarters and set their own policies.

It's unfortunate your friend encounted a bad branch. Not all branches are so good as others and certainly some have policies on when to put to sleep that I would be warry about. But it is certainly not fair to tar them all with the same brush. Some do brilliant work.

A few examples from the centres I work with through Rabbit Rehome:

RSPCA South Beds - My local branch, who I'm also currently fostering for. They automatically neuter and vaccinate every rabbit coming into in their care. What would be the point in spending that initial £60+ outlay and then putting the animal to sleep?

RSPCA Worcester - I personally know of atleast one rabbit that was in their care over a year waiting for a home. They also have a bun which they took from another rescue that was full up back in October last year and she's still in their care waiting for a home. I organised the move and wouldn't have asked them to take her if I had any doubt over their policy on putting to sleep.

RSPCA Reading - Their bunnies are all cared for in a foster home. One of their bunnies, Sooty, has been there since October 2003! Depsite her difficult behaviour, initial health problems and the unlikely hood of her finding a home she has not been given up on: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=2292

I'm not disagree that some centres are bad but equally some non rspca centres are bad. I think you have to take each rescue on an individual basis not just judge it by its name.

Tamsin

Tree said:
It's the people at certain one's I think, It's not fair to tarnish them all.

When I was going to have Maisie, I was due not have her for a while, but Lucy at RSPCA walsall rang me as they couldn't get her to eat after her operation and she had tried everything, but Maisie was very depressed and was basically lossing the will to live, Lucy had tried everything, I went and got her straight away, so I could see if I had better luck with her, luckily I did as she needed some bunny company (surely it would of been easier for Lucy to P her TS)

Marley also was at RSPCA for months and by what you are saying he should of been PTS. Lucy is very caring towards the animals in her care. They have little resources and relie on donations. You have to think what would happen to all the thousands of animals if there wasn't an RSPCA.
remember we said that its not all RSPCA areas
without the RSPCA yes about the animals but they need to sort themselves out

Back