• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kale

Toby

Banned
What is this like? And where do you get it? I don't wanna sound dumb but I don't come across this often :? I am going to try Toby on something different - I am probably risking something here :lol: I have also heard rabbits can eat water melon....I was shocked at that...surely the pips are not a good idea?

i havent tried my buns on melon, (although my gps love it!) abut kurly kale is all my rabbits favourite food they go mad for it! you can buy a bag of it in tesco for a £1! :D

yes all my buns love Kale have read on here somewhere that its not to be fed everyday, but can.t remember why :oops:

My buns have had the honeydew melons and love it, its easy to scrape the seeds out of the middle on these melons, and I only give them a small piece now and again as with all friut I guess its high in sugar

5cutebunnies said:
yes all my buns love Kale have read on here somewhere that its not to be fed everyday, but can.t remember why :oops:

Think it's to do with it having a high calcium content - excess can lead to sludge or stones.

Both my buns like kale though, so get it in moderation. Rob doesn't like melon :roll:

Benji absolutely loves Kale - I think she'd do pretty much anything for it, although we only give it to her a couple of times a week! I think it's pretty good for humans too, kinda like spinach but with less flavour :lol:

hi

I've been wanting to try kale too - never seen it in Sainsburys so will have to make a special trip to Tescos I guess!

Useful chart in this article which shows calium content of different veg
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/calcium.htm
I'm shocked to see that spring greens (my bunnies staple) has TWICE as much calcium as kale does!!!! Calcium is only a problem for some bunnies though - hopefully not mine as calcium is also an important part of their diet, so the article says... :?

I guess vegans can eat spring greens instead of milk then??

Meanwhile the melon thing reminds me of that poor baby bunny on the other forum that died from eating it....Bunnies love it but any new food should be given a tiny piece only and wait 2 days to see if it upsets their tum before giving another tiny piece...ie don't give an entire slice of melon to a baby rabbit :(
And like was mentioned already - it's sugary, so only suited as an occasional cube for a treat, if at all.

What is really good for buns that they can eat ALL the time? (Apart from pellets) :? You'd laugh if I told you how much money has been wasted on Toby’s diet :shock:

His a very faddy bunny who only likes his sweeties :lol: I have given up hope with pellets his never going to have it in a million years. He just eats newspaper when his hungry :? . His had the same diet for most of his life.

Maybe we should all start feeding newspaper then - as Toby's certainly reached a good old age on it!!! :lol:
PS This is a joke!

Kale has got a chemical in it that is not very beneficial to bunnies if eaten too much. But yes, my bunnies love it too!

The base of my "rabbit salad" is generally spring greens and romaine lettuce and then I add another 1 to 3 vegetables like carrots, celery, brussel sprouts etc.

Vera

You can get Kale at Sainsburys, all three of my local ones stock it, the big one has it all the time and the smaller two gt it in most of the time.

It is a big favourite with mine but can be a bit pricy.

Caz

Adsa sell it as well, never tried Sophie on it... think I will now! I read too that should on;y be given in small quantities!

Mine love Kale but dont get it too often after hearing that Nala may have high calcium in her wee. Its available in most shops in a bag near the cabbages.. its like chopped up curly cabbage leafs.
Have you tried herbs? Mine love coriander and parsley especially.. dont think theres any probs with coriander mine have a handful everyday! oh and a carrot.

yeah my buns luv everything too outside their hutch outside is a herb pot wiv basil, thnye parsel and chives in it also we grow rocket for them and us as well as the kale, strawberries, raspberries and tomatos

lisa

What I need is a list of what rabbits can and can't eat - and maybe a few pix to go with it so I know what it looks like when I go shopping (I shop at asda). I am not much of a veggie eater :lol:

Back