• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possible fur mites?

norrielian

Mama Doe
Hi Everyone

I'm Lian and new to this forum, although found my rabbit Dillon a girlfriend from Bunny Camp in Bradford using rabbit rehome

I was away with work last week and when I returned one of my bunnies has a bad case of dandruff and loss of hair above the tail area. I have booked an appointment at the vets for this evening but suspect fur mites.

Have never experienced mites before and advice would be appreciated. His girlfriend is fine, showing no systems?? Does this mean their hutch and run is infested?

Thanks
Lian :)

If it is mites, they will probably both need treatment and yes you will need to do a thorough spring clean of their hutch as the eggs can last for up to 2 weeks.

You can get a special environmental flee spray from the vets which should get rid of any eggs and mites. You'll also have to have a good scrub out, treat the buns (prob your vet will give them a shot or two of ivomec?) and you can get a special bunny spray too which you can comb into the fur which should get rid of the mites... if it is mites.

Oli had ear mites before - I thought I'd got rid of them but they have come back :(

Thanks for the advice. The funny thing is I had a good spring clean out two weeks ago, hosing out the run and hutch using a special rabbit hutch cleaner. I also clean them out every other day but I suppose eggs might be more difficult to get rid off. I'm taking Pippa along also to get her treated regardless. Seems silly to only treat one when they live together.

I know it's a nightmare. You have to clean and treat your buns at the same time. Mine are indoors, I clean and hoover at least once a day, but it still came back. We've even had a new carpet fitted since the last time, but it came back! :(

Mites are hard to get rid of but definitely take them both for treatment as if one has it, the liklihood is the other will have it too (even if the other one isn't yet showing symptoms). Good luck

Sounds like fun - makes me itch at the thought of them. Wish me luck! Luckily they are outdoors so I can get a hose on their house etc...

I read on the web that mites travel in hay so I might just chuck what hay I have left just in case. I'll let you know how it goes after the vets.

my vet said if mine get mites they would treat it with a course of injections.. cant remember if it was 4 injections now.. forgotten.
Nala has a few patches of dandruff but doesnt seem to be a problem so she said that as long as she isnt itching or losing fur not to worry.

Well, I went to the vets last night and they looked at a sample of Dillon's skin under the microscope and couldn't find anything. They've given him an injection anyway just in case and we go back in a week to check progress and probably have a 2nd injection. Very strange, but he doesn't seem to be as uncomfortable this morning. He actually was running around the garden as usual instead of sat itching - maybe the injection has helped overnight.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. :D

Zippy and Scooby had mites (they came with them), they only had to have three injections each and a jolly good brush. It wasn't any hassel really.

Same here Tree, Elvis had them a few weeks ago and had 3 injections at t10 week intervals. Hes fine now, no hassle at all :D

Sweetie said:
Same here Tree, Elvis had them a few weeks ago and had 3 injections at t10 week intervals. Hes fine now, no hassle at all :D

I think Holly means three injections at 7 - 10 day intervals :wink:

Well, it's 3 days after the injection and although Dillon's skin doens't look any better, he is much improved in himself. He's back running around and being cheeky, and has stopped itching which is great news. Hopefully after a few injections he'll be sorted.

Thats good news!

My vet said that you have to keep brushing them to get rid of the 'dandruff' type dry skin. Elvis still has a few flakes as our brush isnt very good........ :roll:

[/quote]

My vet lied! :shock:

Oli still has ear mites, but it's getting better slowly with Aurotex :(
Can humans catch ear mites?[/quote]

My vet said humans couldnt catch them aswell! She said that they only live on the rabbit and not in the environment/on humans!

I havent had any problems myself though and i was still handling Elvis while he had them

He was a bit tender when I took him to vets on Monday and didn't like me touching this area, but hopefully he'll let me have a good brush this evening! I got all paranoid about mites, was itching all day at work just thinking about it!

Oh good, glad you heard the same Sweetie! I think there are different types of mite. Maybe the sort that gets into the ear is not contageous to humans - I hope not anyway, I don't want ear mites thanks very much! :lol:

norrielian, I hope your bun gets better soon :)

Back