• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed (long post)

Mikeymoo

Mama Doe
As some of you may know i rescued three rabbits last Thursday

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5115

I am now concerned that they are older than four/five weeks, having seen kits of three weeks old yesterday. I would like to know if there is anyway i could tell. The vet didnt want to put an age on them. They seem to be eating plenty of solid food and dont really seem to go to mum.

I am not finding it very easy to get them suitable homes - both my partner and i have decided not to give them to a petshop or a rescue as we feel that there next home should be a forever.

We are concerned that if they are older than original told we may run into problems and have hundreds of rabbits. At what age would Buster be able to get his mum and sister pregnant ?

I don't knoe excactly but i think it is at about 12-15 weeks old that they can. Do you have a spare hutcj you could move buster into?

If he is eating solid foods then i would risk moving him, is he drinking out of the water bottle? If he is drinking and eating on his own then he should be ok.

Has his balls dropped yet? Maybe you could get him neutered really quickly then he will be able to go back in with them.

Depending on the breed, from 10 weeks. Bestto seperate him ifyou are unsure especially if he's in with a mature female not just litter mates.

Tam

Am I right in thinking that babies feed from mom at night? If this is so you may not see this. If you seperate the babies from mom to early you could do them more harm then good.

How about posting some picture sn here and asking the many experinced breeders how old they think they are?

Louise

ellepotter said:
Am I right in thinking that babies feed from mom at night? If this is so you may not see this. .
Louise

This is true i wouldnt but they seem to eat a lot of dried food

Please see pics and let me know what you think

01200b65.jpg

IMGP0101.jpg

IMGP0102.jpg

Not sure where the chap got four weeks from :roll: . So do you think i should seperate them tonight and see how it goes ?

This is the easy bit - its the trying to find suitable homes for them thats causing problems. They are advertised on Rabbit Rehome - any other suggestions ?

If you have a trust worthy pet shop near you, you could ask them to put a add in there window. You can always vet the homes before the buns go. Also you could send the details to your local rescue centre and see if you get any potential new owners from there.

My O/H wont let them go to a pet shop - he has become very interested in the welfare of rabbits since we took these on and is concerned that they wouldnt be cared for properly if they were to go to a pet shop. And i dont think they would put a card in the window for us.
Might call the RSPCA and Beech Tree Bunnies later and see what they say

Oh gosh no i did'nt mean take them to the pet shop sorry! My local pet is ok they let people put adds up but they don't sell pets.

hi

Well at least this bloke that got reported to the RSPCA isn't the monster we thought he was - just a bit confused by the sounds of it :roll:

Pink eyed whites are very hard to home - plus on RR pages it says they're too young to leave their mum, so maybe that's putting off people who want a baby rabbit NOW. Couldn't your vet give you an idea of their age?

If you find potential homes it's important to ask for a vet ref or do a home check - is that what you're planning on doing?

How long are you going to give yourself to find them homes as well - Is it urgent, or have you got room for them if they have to stay over a few months?

Thank you reminding me out about will change that now :D

Our vet said that it was very difficult to guess an age as he didnt really see many rabbits

We are definately going to do a home check if local and if not will need a glowing vet reference :D

we are prepared to keep them until we find them homes thats not a problem but we wont be able to have them neutered as we are not in a position to pay for two spays and a neuter :(

Back