• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Odor control in litter boxes

HI all!
I recently switched to using newspaper in my litterboxes and I was wondering if I could use baking soda to keep the odor down. I change the litter boxes every day and they still smell. Would baking soda harm them if they ingested it?

Hi,

I was using carefresh in my rabbits tray with hay on top but to be honest i didn't find it to be very good. I picked up something called Ammo Litter while i was in Pets@home last week. It's a zeolite ammonia absorbing resin and it say's that it it safe for rabbits.

I'm now using wood pellets in their tray with a cupful of this stuff and the odour control is much much better.

Now if i can only stop them peeing on the pro fleece :)

Damo.

Hi! I was wondering about the baking soda a because it is cheap. Plus I am in the US so I can't find that over here. do you know if it is safe for buns?

P.S. This is Aspen'n'company on Charliesangel. Forgot to switch usernames :lol:

Sophie smells like a fresh baby!!!! :lol: And her litter is fine too, I use wood pellets and they are great.

*Proud Mummy*

My bunnies don't smell. They just fill their litter boxes up fast. I don't mind that Ihave to change it every day, but their pee is really strong when All three cages are right next to my bed. IF you are wondering I built a cage out of office cubes so they are stacked up but still get nice breeze.

That's why I don't use newspaper. Even with daily changing, they still smelt. So I will stick to my wood pellets. Vera

hi

I only put 3 sheets of newspaper on the bottom, under the thin layer of paper litter (carefresh or megazorb) - it's not very absorbent but it makes it easy to roll up the contents of the tray into a bundle to go in the bin.

If I don't clean the trays daily it does smell as their wee is strong although poops seem to be odourless - I spend as much money on litter as food for them, but keeping them clean stops a whole lot of other problems such as flies, sore feet etc, so it's worth it I think.

Haven't a clue about baking soda :?

Edana and the boys

loopylop said:
Sophie smells like a fresh baby!!!! :lol: And her litter is fine too, I use wood pellets and they are great.

*Proud Mummy*

Sylvia smells of 'Hay', her new eau de parfum.

Seriously, I would ditch the newspaper and go with wood shavings and pellets. It is much easier to clean out on a daily basis without having to chuck the whole lot, and it is extremely absorbent and non smelling. b-m

Critter Litter

I use a make of litter called Critter Litter, only seen it one place down my way but it is good, it is specifically designed for small animals and is very good at keeping the smell down.

Back