• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

.::Poor Bunny on News the other day::.

Toby

Banned
Did anyone else see that rabbit on the news the other day? I think the poor thing had broken his/her back and the owner had got him a wheel thing so he could wheel his back legs along. I never saw all of it so I am not sure if it’s something new for rabbits with broken legs or backs so they don’t have to be put down.

Rabbit on Wheels
Woolly the bunny lost the use of his back legs due to an infection but he has been fitted with a set of wheels and can now race around the garden as quick as he ever did. Woolly will be showing us his new moves in the studio, alongside his owners, Paul and Carla Foulger.

Here are some other reports:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4194465.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/3674266.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3664861.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/3535655.stm

For more…. http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin...e=newsukfs&tab=news&q=Rabbits&go.x=34&go.y=19

Yeah i saw that when i was down in London . He looked quite happy to wheel himself about poor little thing

I think it all depends on the bun. We looked into getting a cart made for Daisy but we couldn't afford to get one. People seem to forget that an animal finds it easier to adapt to disability than a human does. I used a bunny bag for Daisy (there's pictures on my website), but if I could have got him a cart, he would have had one. I know he would have loved it.

I think its a great idea, someone posted something similar up about this not long ago about a little dog that had the same sort of thing fitted. Theres quite a few little animals with these "cart" type things fitted now, and they always seem so happy to be moving again. If it means a bunny is mobile again, I think it's a great idea. I've lost 2 bunny's to paralysis and at the time if I'd have known such a thing existed, I would have got one for my 2 in no time, (depending if I had the money and/or if I'd have known my Husband at the time as he's good at DIY!) I would much rather that than them drag their legs around making themselves sore like my 2 did. :cry:

People seem to forget that an animal finds it easier to adapt to disability than a human does.

That is very true. I wouldn't want my rabbit put to sleep just because he/she couldn't walk. So depending if the rabbit is in pain I think it’s a good idea. But then I can understand why some people wouldn't agree.

We have had a lot of disabled buns and we continue to have them. If one of them did require a cart we would go all out to get one for the bun. A paraplegic bun is just as happy and contented as a "normal" bun. In this house we have no "normal" buns :D They all have something wrong with them and to save them being put to sleep we take them in - they are happy and they cope so well with any disabilities that life throws at them. A lot of the disabilities have been caused by their previous "owners" :evil: If I bun is willing to go on and is happy and content then I say go all the way to making them comfortable :D

awwww i thought about this when raichu had bridging of the spine but i could fine any and they were just too expencive, but we had to have her out down in the end as he went down hill
becky

Ooh I missed that! I think its down to the circumstances and if the rabbit seems happy within him/herself with wheels then it can only be a good thing. You wouldn't put down a human because he/she had to be in a wheelchair would you? Wish I'd seen it.

I love that link to Dory the Hero Rabbit!!!! Soo sweet!! It does annoy me when people think that rabbits are stupid or boring. They have no idea.

I love that link to Dory the Hero Rabbit!!!! Soo sweet!! It does annoy me when people think that rabbits are stupid or boring. They have no idea.

Yeah I know what you mean. Just because they don't respond the same way dogs do :? I was impressed when Toby found his way home, even more impressed when he thought to come home! :lol:

Woolly response

Folks

I'm glad my mum and dad got me my cart as I'm now able to run around the garden without dragging myself. The I other option was to put me to sleep, but I wanted to LIVE (or end up with bald patches and sores). It may seem strange for a bun to be in a cart - I thought it was to when they first put me in it - but hee dont your humans have carts as well! What is good enough for you is good enough for me.

My story was about trying to let folk know there was alternative solutions for disabled buns llike myself.

GIVE A BUN A CHANCE

The link below will take to pics of me enjoy myself

Woolly :lol:
There is more of my story and pics on this site under the search of CART

http://www.worldwidefeatures.com/feature_info.php?feature_id=69

Those are great pictures, and Woolly seems very happy and full of life. I think you've opened the eyes of other rabbit owners so if their rabbit ever gets into a situation like Woolly did, they would have more than the option to put them asleep.

Re: Woolly response

Paul&Carla said:
Folks

I'm glad my mum and dad got me my cart as I'm now able to run around the garden without dragging myself. The I other option was to put me to sleep, but I wanted to LIVE (or end up with bald patches and sores). It may seem strange for a bun to be in a cart - I thought it was to when they first put me in it - but hee dont your humans have carts as well! What is good enough for you is good enough for me.

My story was about trying to let folk know there was alternative solutions for disabled buns llike myself.

GIVE A BUN A CHANCE

The link below will take to pics of me enjoy myself

Woolly :lol:
There is more of my story and pics on this site under the search of CART

http://www.worldwidefeatures.com/feature_info.php?feature_id=69

Hiya :D

I mentioned this on the other thread, but i really think he is one special bunny!

If there is equiptment available to help our buns out there and help them to give them a better quality of life than I think go for it.

I agree with Romy, you wouldn't put a human down just because they needed a wheelchair, we should give our buns the same opportunities. I know myself, I would do anything for Sophie before i would consider laying her to rest (unless she was in pain of course).

I say a big well done to Paul&Carla, the emotional struggle you must go through with Wolley must break your heart sometimes, and to see him with such determination in his face must make you melt and make everything worthwhile! Well done for doing everything you can to give Wolley a chance!!

So, keep those piccies coming and keep us updated on how he is doing, cus I know for me, I would love to hear how he is getting on! (And I can awww over those lovely piccies!)

You definitly have a very special bunny there, well done Wooley! You brave little man!!!! :D

Back