• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peeing in food?

leesabuntine

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone
My bunny George (6mths) has been living with me for 6 days.
He has now started peeing in his food pellets and hay. He is in a zoo zone that has a fitted troff thing.I have sawdust on the bottom of the cage.....should i try something else? If so what?I have been putting a litter tray in but he ignored it so it was removed.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks
leesa.

i dont know if this is wrong some one tell me if so...but i am going to instead of saw dust use straw as the bedding (ontop of newspaper to soak up moisture) and put hay and food in one compartment as the food area!

Looks like George has decided that's where he wants to pee in the meantime, food trough or not! Don't know what a zoo zone looks like though. Take the trough out if you can, put in a small litter tray and give him a food bowl.

Sawdust isn't good (too fine), try wood shavings or Megazorb if you can get it, then pile the hay on top so he can poo and chew. Straw's not so good as the pee sits too easily on the top which leads to soggy feet, hay is better, or even a mix of the two.

The first cage I had for Joey had a food trough and he peed in it, in the water bit too. I took the trough out and gave him seperate bowls at the other end of the cage and this solved the problem. Is zoozone the ones that are white and yellow?

Yeah the zoo zone is white and yellow.It is see-through so my cats could "look but not touch"!!! :lol:
One of my cats was a little bit enthusiastic with him so I let them out together for 5-10 mins a day to get her used to him.
I prefer him running around....he just acts like my cats.He rolls over on to his back and spreads himself out.
He is getting better at being handled.
We are now looking at a 5ft outdoor hutch for him or a shed.

leesabuntine said:
Yeah the zoo zone is white and yellow.It is see-through so my cats could "look but not touch"!!! :lol:
One of my cats was a little bit enthusiastic with him so I let them out together for 5-10 mins a day to get her used to him.
I prefer him running around....he just acts like my cats.He rolls over on to his back and spreads himself out.
He is getting better at being handled.
We are now looking at a 5ft outdoor hutch for him or a shed.

That's the same as I had and Joey peed in the trough too!!

hi

For Amy (whiterabbit)- here's a thread about straw/hay etc - there's a link to megazorb suppliers too, although I've been using carefresh and sainsbury recycled paper cat litter (never use the clay type as it blocks them up) since I ran out of megazorb.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4615

There's another link on page 5 or 6 of general chat, about free range house rabbits - how to minimise the chewing and destruction!

Edana and the boys :love:

Back