• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molting??? UPDATE ... Off to the vets at 6.15 for once over

5cutebunnies

Mama Doe
Is molting a stressful time for bunnies??

Panzy doesn't seem to be his usually happy self this last couple of days and he is molting like mad.

Something else that concerns me is he seems to be eating a lot of it too, I have just pulled some out of his mouth that was wrapped round his teeth.

We are brushing him to try and help him out with all this fur.

All the others are molting too but they seem ok.

My lot are all moulting. I'm hovering up like mad at the moment, as Stroppy is leaving a trail of white hair everywhere he goes!

Your Rabbit probably got hair in his mouth when he was grooming himself. I would certainly have a go at grooming him every day and try and pull any loose hair out of his coat. I'm doing this with Stroopy everyday at the moment. It’s amazing how much comes out! :D He’s a bit grumpy at the moment s he hates being picked up/groomed.

It also might be worth giving him some kitty malt to try and avoid hairballs. If you do a search on RU I'm sure there will be an old post about using it.

Louise

thanks for that ellepotter

My don't we worry about these little balls of fluff think Im just going to ring the vets see if I can get him a check up as he really doesnt seem his self :cry:

He is eating, poohing and weeing as usual, just doesnt seem right to me.

I would certainly go ahead and ring the Vets if you are not happy with him.

Let us know how you get on! :)

Louise

Well I have got him an appointment for 6.15 for my own piece of mind, I would rather go sooner than later, so if there is anything the matter it can be treated quickly.

Poor Panzy :cry:

hows stroppy

how is stroppy??? i was going to say do rabbits get summer and winter coats??? it might be that stroppy is just getting his summer coat through!

Good luck at the vets, let us know how he went.

Plucking the fur out seemed to help with Joey's moult, I was amazed at how much came out! He's only got his bum to go and he'll be done moulting *thank goodness!*

Right just got back and I'm shocked :shock:

It was his front teeth :cry:

We have had Panzy from 11 weeks old and he has never had teeth problems. Unlike Bernard, who has had his front teeth removed.

While he was under the anaesthetic being castrated only three weeks ago the vet took the opertunity to have a good look at his teeth and said they were perfect.

However when I removed the fur from his teeth earlier I said to my daughter that his top front teeth looked to long.

The vet examined his teeth and said yes they had grown and the top ones had just started to go into his bottom gum, :cry: :cry: :cry:

I feel awful, ever likely he wasn't his usual bouncy self, this must have been so painful :cry: :cry: :cry:

The vet gave him a good going over eyes, ears, bum, his empty little ball bags :shock: weighed him, he examined his tum and listened to his chest all was fine, which was kind of a relief that it was only his teeth.

The vet clipped his teeth, he said the bottom ones were a little loose, he said that the small wound to his gum should heal on its own with no problems. The vet said it was a little surprising how suddenly his teeth don't match up, and asked if he could of bitten something really hard or banged his his head, my answer was not that I know of.

Anway we have got to keep an eye on his teeth for the next few weeks and if they grow again Im going to have them removed, Bernard copes really well without his.

I'm just shocked that a healthy adult bunny who has never had a miss-alignment suddenly has one :shock:

But worry over it could have been something more serious, I can tell you while I was sat in the vets I was thinking all sorts and getting myself well stressed out :roll:

So panic over for now.

yay

im so happy for him :D do you know if we can buy teeth clippers and do it our selfs as vets is quite far from me and dont want to have to keepgoing back!

aaww im glad it was just his teeth.. altho still a worry. Hope they grow ok now and he doesnt have anymore probs with them. At least you will know if it does happen again what it is.

Re: yay

.::.whiterabbit.::. said:
im so happy for him :D do you know if we can buy teeth clippers and do it our selfs as vets is quite far from me and dont want to have to keepgoing back!

OMG I could never do it myself as it traumatises me when the vet does it :shock: Thats why when Berard had his teeth probs he only had them clipped three of four times before having all four out, I couldnt stand it and its can't be nice for them either :cry:

But like I say panic over for now :roll:

Re: yay

.::.whiterabbit.::. said:

Are you having problems with your bunny's teeth? It's usually best not to get teeth clipped as it can shatter the teeth or split them vertically which could lead to infection or abscess in the gum or jaw. Most vets use a dremil type drill to burr them down, I certainly wouldn't advise you to try clipping them yourself unless you're experienced. Best thing to do is make sure the buns have lots of hay and tough things to chew on, and although this won't always help if the problem is genetic or hereditary, they should have good teeth :D

ohmigod thanks soooo much

ohmigod thank you so much for telling me i dont want to harm my bunny :( i bought a chewing block for it (when i get it tomrow) i hope this will keep teeth down!

hi

Glad Pansy's sorted now and nothing serious wrong!
When I asked around different vets about teeth probs I was suprised they still suggested clipping as I thought this was not only stressful but weakened if not shattered the tooth root, leading to problems later in life - burring them down is the recommended treatment if you can't have the front teeth removed altogether.
I said to one vets who recommended clipping, 'oh I thought it was best to burr them rather than clip them' and she did a total U-turn, saying 'oh yes we always burr them!' :roll:

Edana and the boys :love:

Well if Panzy's teeth do grow to long again I will not mess about with clipping I think its to stressfull I will opt to have them removed, I think its got to be better for the bun not to have the hassle.

It cost £65 to have Bernards teeth removed, I didn't think that was bad, I was expecting a much larger bill.

But I will hope that Panzy's teeth will be ok now but I some how don't think so.

Still intrigued how this has suddenly come about.

Back