• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet shaving spreading ???

looneymum

New Kit
Hello, I am new to this discussion board so please forgive any mistakes. I have recently adopted two adult rabbits from the RSPCA and they are wonderful but have a strange habit of peeing in their bed and then proceeding to dig out the bed area depositing nearly all of its contents in the living area. I clean the hutch out on a morning and the bed stays intact until night time. I am worried that they won't be clean and dry as they then continue to pee in their bed which can be almost empty by the morning. It's costing me a fortune in shavings as their hutch is 5ft x 2ft and I end up changing most of it everyday instead of a wet corner! Help Please, Nicki

It could also be the buns are bored and needing something stimulating to do, is the hutch inside a run or attached to a run? If it's only being done through the night, this could indicate that they are otherwise occcupied by everything else that's going on around them during the day and bored at night (when all good buns should be asleep!). If they had a place to expend their energy during the day, they might be a bit more tired and satisfied at bed time. On the other hand, maybe they just like digging!

Three of our buns don't get shut in their hutches at night as they go nuts and start thumping if I try. They have access to a secure and fox-proof run at all times.

hi

They sound like they're just being busy bunnies - how big is the hutch - oh yes you said - 5'x2' - do they get much running time outside of it?

Edana and the boys :love:

One of my foster rabbits (who now has been rehomed) used to spend ages digging out her litter tray, eating the litter tray and eating her hutch, when I addded to the toys she had to play with her 'destructive' behaviour decreased.

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care.

update on wet shaving spreading!

Thank you so much for all your help, The run that will attach to the hutch is still under construction but their hutch is a huge homemade one that is 5ft x 2ft x 2ft and it is two storey! They come in the lounge most nights for an hour or two, I am about to go and buy a litter tray and give that a go when I clean them out today. I shall also have a rummage through the kids toybox to see if I can find anything bunny proof!

hi

this site has some good bunny toys - and mine love their rattle from the market pet shop - Benny sits and drops it, picks it up, drops it, picks it up - just to hear it rattle - awww!
http://chinchillacymru.co.uk/nibblestoys.htm
they probably just want to live free in your living room 24/7 - spoilt bunnies having a tantrum? :roll:

When I saw this topic I thought someone was shaving their bunnies with a razor :lol:

Edana and the boys

I shall also have a rummage through the kids toybox to see if I can find anything bunny proof!

The cheapest is often the best: toilet roll (inner card board tube) and the all time favourite cardboard boxes!

Vera

make your own

i thought of a good make your own. well you know bunnies love hay well get a toilet roll tube put loads of lil holes in it then stuff it full of hay- they will love it!

Back