PDA

View Full Version : just a quik one!! WASPS and Slugs

xx-bex-xx
05-05-2005, 05:39 PM
can wasps sting rabbits?

and misty has got all snail slug stuff that they leave behind when they move. the slime is on her ear!! how they hell did she not feel it on her ear!! what shall i do to get it off??

Phill
05-05-2005, 05:40 PM
EEEEW i've no idea about the slug stuff but as far as i know wasps can sting buns unfortunatly

xx-bex-xx
05-05-2005, 05:43 PM
dunno what to do .....

oh thats just great!! now i feel like gotaa watch them all the time but i cant cos i have school!!!can it be fatal ...

mini lop1
05-05-2005, 05:43 PM
:lol: on her ear how did she not feel it there? lol
i remeber my french lop if one entered the htuch she used to stamp her feet to tell us to get rid of it away from her food!
to keep flies and wasps away from bunnies htuch we used to use net curtains
and put salt under bottom of hutch legs to keep slugs off

lisa

xx-bex-xx
05-05-2005, 05:45 PM
i can keep wasps away when they are n the hutch but they run around freely in my garden and there was a ginormous wasp today and i was feraking out but i didnt know what to do!! im really scared of them!

i have no idea how it got on her ear!! and it does attract quite a few slugs at night around the hutch

xx-bex-xx
05-05-2005, 05:45 PM
how comes salt keeps them away?

Phill
05-05-2005, 05:46 PM
I don't think wasp stings can be atal to buns i have certainly never had any problems! Try not to worry to much and yes salt would be a good idea to keep slugs at bay!

mini lop1
05-05-2005, 05:48 PM
my buns have always been ok playing outside wiv the wasps and bees they dont bother them i wouldnt worry to much
my little nethie used to scare me when she was younger she had a thing for chasing bees, but the bees didnt bother her they came after me instead :lol:

lisa

Diddeen
05-05-2005, 05:48 PM
salt kind of makes slugs shrivel up i think. Ive also heard that All Bran is good but that makes them explode so maybe not so nice eh. Cant believe your bunny let a slug walk over its ear! :shock: :lol:

mini lop1
05-05-2005, 05:51 PM
also to keep slugs at away use beer traps or broken up egg shells or upside down orange peels heard these can work too
slugs wont go over brocken egg shells - too rough
they explode yuk! on salt
and they love beer traps and drown
or the orange one they crawl under orange peel u go out pick it up and throw it away in a field or something

lisa

Diddeen
05-05-2005, 06:01 PM
oh yes ive heard of the beer trap one.. they work. :wink:

xx-bex-xx
05-05-2005, 06:24 PM
awww u guys so helpful!!!

salt kind of makes slugs shrivel up i think. Ive also heard that All Bran is good but that makes them explode so maybe not so nice eh. Cant believe your bunny let a slug walk over its ear! :shock: :lol:

lol omg they blow up!!!
lol i know neither can i !!
i will use the salt thing then!
and im not so worried about the wasps now !! fanx u guys!!

Sooty
05-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Gravel or anything rough keeps them away. Whos voluntering to pour salt on a slug then?

Phill
05-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Oh can i do it!!! I would love to pour salt on a slug and watch it blow up that would be gross!!

xx-bex-xx
05-05-2005, 06:29 PM
i really wana see it!!! cant imagine seeing it just blow up hehehe!!
dus it work on snails still??

Sooty
05-05-2005, 06:30 PM
OK Phill. Photos please!

Phill
05-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Coool im gonna go find a slug tommorow!!!

Sooty
05-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Waiting with baited breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

xx-bex-xx
05-05-2005, 06:33 PM
... im gunna go find one now!!! teach em for walking over ma buns ear!

Phill
05-05-2005, 06:34 PM
ooooooh Slug hunt!!!

Sooty
05-05-2005, 06:36 PM
I was on a school trip (long time ago) with another school. Of course we hated them and were very pleased (wetting ourselves) when one of them stood on a slug, slipped and sat on another one, Nice mark on particularly gross pale pink skirt! hope we have no slug lovers out there!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Phill
05-05-2005, 06:38 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i got one stuck to my finger once it was gross cause i managed to squash it against my other finger!! EWWW

linnyloo
05-05-2005, 09:58 PM
I made the mistake of pouring salt on them, it's nasty they scream :shock:

xx-bex-xx
05-05-2005, 10:01 PM
awww wmust be a horrible way to die!! still want to do it. couldnt find any slugs earlier..! isit any salt!??

Nienna
05-05-2005, 10:03 PM
how comes salt keeps them away?

I think salt dehydrates them...basically it sucks all the moisture out of them. As they are mostly water, it kills them.

I made the mistake of pouring salt on them, it's nasty they scream

I did it too once when I was younger...I felt so horrible afterwards!

Katie
05-05-2005, 10:18 PM
i think wasps only sting when angry so as long as you dont have a silly bunny like dogs who swat at them then she should be fine!! :lol:

anon101
05-05-2005, 10:25 PM
I dont think its funny in the slightest killing slugs using salt. In fact its disgusting and down right cruel. :evil: They have feelings just like our Rabbits do. :( There are much more humane ways to detier them.

There's a good article on Bee's and Wasp's here:

http://www.essexwt.org.uk/Leaflets/bees.htm

Louise

charmaine
05-05-2005, 11:13 PM
i stood on a slug once barefoot and i can still feel it now :(
one screamed at me once when i put salt on it. it was eary. leaves a gooey mess :)

Jeremy
05-05-2005, 11:29 PM
I dont think its funny in the slightest killing slugs using salt. In fact its disgusting and down right cruel. :evil: They have feelings just like our Rabbits do. :( There are much more humane ways to detier them.

I agree. Just because they are not "Fluffy" and "Cute" doesn't mean it isn't horrible. Please don't do it. :?

elve
06-05-2005, 08:43 AM
killing slugs for fun isn't nice, but they definitely don't have feelings like bunnies do - they are very simple organisms and probably don't feel panic or pain - can't prove it though so best to be kind if poss!

However - I have millions of slugs in my garden, and I can't shake one from my boot so I doubt your bunny could shake one from her ear - it could even go IN her ear!!
When I found 2 big slugs drowned in my bunny's water bowl, I had to take action for their health and safety, which is my responsibility - I'm not responsible for a wild slug...so I tried putting salt all around the doorstep to the shed, as I couldn't think what else to do - and it worked! Regularly find a stiff slug there in the morning, and bunnies haven't had to drink slimey water again!

Wish I knew how to keep GIANT spiders out of their litter boxes - nearly gives me a heart attack when I roll up the newspaper :shock:

Lot of centipedes and woodlice too, but they're harmless I guess??

And a wasp nearly killed our dog when she got it in her mouth - her throat swelled up inside! I hate wasps - love bees!....

Edana and the boys :love:

mini lop1
06-05-2005, 09:59 AM
you could encourgae birds to come in ur garden and feed on the slugs by throwing seed out for the birds they will then come back everyday hedgehogs also like them

lisa

.::.whiterabbit.::.
06-05-2005, 08:18 PM
next time i see a slug out comes the salt lol!

5cutebunnies
06-05-2005, 08:33 PM
We have snails which I have to say I kind of like :D

We get slugs too, but not that many, we have two frog ponds :love: in our garden and frogs love to eat slugs so they keep the population down.

I could never tip salt on them :cry:

.::.whiterabbit.::.
06-05-2005, 08:37 PM
im might be getting a pond in my garden because mum says they will look pretty but i am keen on the idea as i love frogs!

5cutebunnies
06-05-2005, 08:41 PM
We all love frogs here :love: thats the only reason we put the ponds in as there were so many frogs in the garden and we thought they should have somewhere nice to go for a swim and more importantly lay their frogspawn. We have loads of tadpoles at the moment . Also I think frogs are a great learning tool for the kids to see the whole life cycle go round and round.

elve
06-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Oh someone else who has frogs in their garden with no pond! - I wondered how they got there as nearest ponds are half a mile away! I even found a newt in the water-filled base of my patio parasol - did it crawl half a mile??? :?
So if I have a slug problem I should get digging I guess - oh joy :roll:

Edana and the boys

Caz
09-05-2005, 09:17 AM
I have heard copper works - you can buy copper circles to put round plant bases - I haven't tried it myself - I can just see them using it as a leg up to the tasty bits of the plant but if it does work you could try putting copper round the bits of the hutch where they could get in.

Caz

mini lop1
09-05-2005, 09:47 AM
yes copper works to as used by gardeners, some people use cheaper option of cutting top off plastic bottles i treid it last year and curling them round my plants it seemed to work but i only tried it for the weekened when it weas pouring down

lisa

xx-bex-xx
09-05-2005, 04:42 PM
you could encourgae birds to come in ur garden and feed on the slugs by throwing seed out for the birds they will then come back everyday hedgehogs also like them

lisa

my mum puts bread out all the time and they alasy come to our garden.. but still have slugs :shrugs:

5cutebunnies
09-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Oh someone else who has frogs in their garden with no pond! - I wondered how they got there as nearest ponds are half a mile away! I even found a newt in the water-filled base of my patio parasol - did it crawl half a mile??? :?
So if I have a slug problem I should get digging I guess - oh joy :roll:

Edana and the boys

Sends half a dozen stapping fella's round to edna's armed with spades :P