• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Now Confused!! Do I keep my rabbits on their own??

Lorraine

Young Bun
After having given up bonding my 2 female rabbits (see my other posts), I then decided to try to get a buck for each of my females so they could have a friend each. I have just been told from a rescue centre that I shouldn't keep 2 rabbits in a hutch 5ft x 2Ft (which is what I've got, although they do go out on the grass every day) as they will eventually fight! I was told that the rabbits would be happier and friendlier with just my company.

What should I do?? :?

I thought rabbits were happier in pairs?

One of my pairs is in this size cage and they are absolutely fine! As long as they are not giants (mine are medium sized bunnies), 5' x 2' is perfectly fine.

Vera

Is it possible to extend your hutch? Could you build a run which would be attatched to your hutch so they have access to a permanent run for them they can use day and night.

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care

Hmm, personally i think they are defintely happier in pairs, m/f pairs are best (as you know!) 5 x 2 sounds ok, but it depends on their size and also how often they are let out.

If you have a m/f pair who are properly bonded, then they should not fight - I don't think? Mine never have since bonded although once a little mounting took place...

You can very easily build a basic run onto the front of your hutch - just build a frame and cover in chicken wire. You may need to shut them up at night for safety but it should be easy to extend what you already have, if you want to.

I know these things are totally personal and dependent on your rabbits etc, but I am looking at a hutch for 2 new buns and am looking at a minimum of 18sq ft indoors and 24sq ft outdoors (but that is with a run too which they would most likely not have access to at night, for safety reasons). But it really depends on the buns' size too and what space you have etc etc.

Definitely pairs are best imo! b-m

My hutches are situated just outside the back door in an undercover area where we walk down the side of the house. I haven't really got room to extend them where they are, and it is quite nice for them (and me!) in that they have some shelter from the weather as it doesn't get quite as cold there.
I do try to put them in a run on the grass in the daytime (although I want to get a bigger one) unless there is heavy rain.
What size runs do you normally recommend and do you know of any good manufacturers as I might have to wait until next Christmas for someone to build one for me!!

Hi Lorraine. I'd certainly say that alot of bunnies are happier with a friend.. altho there are always some that are just soo bonded to their humans that they are happier with just that. If these are outside rabbits then id certainly say a pair would be better.
Simba was on his own for about 18months with me as a house rabbit. I always thought he was happy enough with my company. Having recently got him a girlfriend he is such a different boy! So much more contented and he still comes to me for attention but he loves to snuggle up next to his girlfriend which is so nice to see.

Back