• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Darcy's nose...

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Last month I took Darcy to the vet as he had sneezed. The vet checked him all over (eyes, teeth, breathing etc) and confirmed he was fine. I'm worried as lately I've notied he frequently has a little wet patch betwe his nose and mouth. Is this something I should be worrying about???

Thanks! xxx

Humm, I would tend to say no don't worry if he's had a throrough check up and the wetness is clear not discharge. Are the insides of his front legs clean? Are you sure its not from where he is drinking?

Tam

Yes his paws are always immactulate. Thanks Tamsin. I was hoping it was something like that as sometimes its a little brown but only when he has been eating his poos from the rear....sorry to be graphic!! Thanks :D

Aaaww im sure it will be just him dunking his nose when he drinks. Today simba has a green nose! Its all crunchy! He was at the vets for vaccs and she looked at his nose.. im like i dunno what he's done to that! But she wasnt concerned at all. I think its when he gets a wet nose and then eats some dried grass.
As long as no other symptoms.. like crunchy/wet stuff on his paws then im sure its nothing.

Oli has the same! Always has done. He does sneeze sometimes so I keep an eye on him... doesn't seem to bother him at all though :)

I thought discharge could be white or clear in the case of an "snuffles" type infection? Sorry Romy.

Is he still sneezing at all?

Caz

Not unless he has matted fur on his paws and discharge coming out of him. He could also be sneezing for a number of reasons.

Basically, the bacteria which cause bunny flu are always present in small numbers in the rabbit's nose and mouth - like sore throat bacteria in humans - but your bun will only get pasteurella if for some reason the bacteria get out of control, like if he gets majorly stressed out, or has another infection (pasteurella often 2ndary infection i think).

So unless you are really worried, I don't think you need to take him to the vet. Maybe for piece of mind? Really Oli is the same - I will try and take a pic but he doesn't sit still for long!

Hope this helps :?:

Back